Global warming

124»

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,941
    The trouble is that governments, of all political persuasions, don't look any further forward than the next general election.
    Gone are the days when they pushed through massive projects like new water supplies and sewerage treatment plants.
    If it's not for the benefit of London, then tough titty. ( railway at Dawlish closed for the second day running )
    Devon.
  • Lyn said:
    Was it on the Prince Charles programme that they mentioned the man who discovered what we were doing in mid 1800’s ? 

In 1896 Svante Arrhenius "calculated that cutting CO2 in half would suffice to produce an ice age. He further calculated that a doubling of atmospheric CO2 would give a total warming of 5–6 degrees Celsius." - Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_climate_change_science#First_calculations_of_human-induced_climate_change,_1896  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,840
    Yes, I just couldn’t remember the programme. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

What a stupid place to build a railway that was! What clever person thought it would be nice to build a railway right in the edge of the sea. 
    Nothing new having strong winds down here, it’s often been flooded/ washed away. And still they build it up again. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,156
    The main problem is human nature being we don't look beyond the ends of our noses. We are all guilty of that, governments too. Especially those in the affluent west, we are insulated against the harsher realities of life. And lecturing governments of the developing world won't wash because they will just say 'well you've done it so we can too'.

Our dirty work has simply been shifted overseas to countries like India, Indonesia etc. Factories there spew all manner of toxic chemicals into the rivers with impunity, all so they can make our clothes while getting paid nothing. Then the big stores like Primark can sell us dirt cheap clothes which we can wear for a week before sending them to landfill, preferably somewhere in eastern Europe. Just bury it, worry later.

This will of course seal our fate but as Lyn says, another species will step up in a few million years after the planet has fixed itself and we are long forgotten. 
    No erm about it, it definitely was Brunel.
    I'm not opening that link, there’s no way I would ever have an electric car, to think that I was part responsible for a dear little baby girl or boy getting a beating and dying in their teenage years just horrifies me.