Manual VS Powered

Hi All,

Where do you stand on manual tools Vs Powered tools?

I personally am an advocate of manual tools for gardening, I find it somewhat therapeutic along with the added benefits of the exercise and no noise/pollution.

Now I’m not for a moment saying that powered tools don't have their place, I daren't imagine some jobs without them. I just mean where there is choice between.

I ask because I see a lot of people talking about how Powered tools have made manual tools redundant, whereas I really don't feel that way.

A good example tool here is a favourite I recently used, the Grass Whip. It was fair bit of exercise to use but I wouldn't have done it any other way. 

• cornellycornelly Posts: 653

I mow the lawns and strim the wild garden, every thing else manual, theraputic and good excercise, 84 next month and still grow a lot of veg, and look after herbaceous borders as well as said mow the lawns and do a bit of strimming, as well as enjoy country walks.

• The Grass Whip sounds vaguely SM but I'm sure it isn'timage

What is it and how do you use it Richard ?

• I've just looked it up and to my surprise, I've got one! I inherited it from my brother when he moved to Prague and apartment living, and I never knew what it was, just call it the Slasher!

It's great, it has got rid of loads of nettles in my sheep field, just keep cutting them back as they regrow until they give up. It's nice to go out for half an hour or so in the evening and bash a few nettles and it's good at getting into awkward corners too. It doesn't like rushes much though, so I have them on my 'One a day' job list and dig them out.

We used to have another really useful tool called a Thistlestick that was somewhat similar, with a curved steel blade that let you get right under the thistle's rosette of leaves and whipped it off, but it got so much use reclaiming our new big field that we wore it out, and sadly they don't seem to be available any more.

I agree about using manual tools. I don't like noise and you feel more in contact with the job somehow. Have even cut down trees with a bow saw, because you can hear every fibre tear and feel when it is nearly ready to go. I then give it a yank with a long rope from a safe distance and avoid being in the danger zone! Too terrified ever to use a chain saw!

Last edited: 10 February 2017 17:55:37

• Glad you have one Buttercup but I'm still none the wiserimage

Is it a Scythe or a Sickle - something similar to that ?

Not for grass but a decent Pruning saw has its place .....as does a chain saw when used by someone who knows what they are doing.  A swift sure cut is often kinder than hacking I think.Noisy tho image

• It's like a straight bladed scythe with serrated teeth on both sides, so can be used with either handimage

• Thank you Bcdays..........I can see why it is called a Grass whip nowimage 

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,591

I notice that there has been no comment from those of the other persuasion! I, too, avoid anything with a motor or engine but a gentleman quite close to me lights up at the very mention of horse power. Attachments - yes please; three speeds - I think so; suitable for any terrain - bring it on....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,254

I'd have to say I'm not 100% wedded to one or the other. 

If it's easier with a motor , so be it .If I get better results with manual so be it.

How many of eschew a vacuum cleaner in favour of a dust pan and brush when doing our HW?

Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449

For once I'm in total agreement with Hostafan1 image  Why make a job more difficult than it has to be.  I use a petrol mower, petrol rotovator and use powered tools for strimming and lawn edging.  Since all our old, large plants were removed I no longer need to use chainsaws etc but would if they were the most practical, and speedy, way to get the wanted results.

Power tools aren't always the answer, but I'm not one to do things the hard way just for the sake of it.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,019

Without power tools I would disappear into a forest.