Forum home Plants

Pruning advice

Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Was there a thread about a "Valentine's Day massacre" last year? I seem to remember it recommended giving clematis the chop around this time of year.

I have a group2 "comtesse de bouchard". Last year I took it down to the ground after neglecting to prune it previouslyimage.  This year I plan to thin out maybe half the stems and take the top off the rest. 

Also the raspberries are an autumn variety "all gold". Is Feb the right time to chop them down?

The forecast for the week ahead is very cold, should I wait before reaching for the secateurs?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,623

Group 2s can either be treated as group 3s and hacked back every Feb/March or you treat them properly as a group 2 which means leaving them alone till the buds open.  You can then cut off any dead upper stems back to a healthy bud.  

The next pruning is done immediately after the first flush of flowers goes over in mid June.  Take back any stems exceeding their bounds and dead head the spent flowers.   It should then flower again in late summer.    At each trim, give it a good feed of clematis food and a drink of liquid tomato food to encourage more flowers.

Autumn raspberries can be cut back hard in Feb or March depending on how severe your weather is.   Don't do it in during, or when expecting, heavy frosts.   Patience is a great gardening virtue.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Thanks Obelixx.  I did the group3 hacking last year only to rejuvenate it and start from scratch with a proper pruning regime.  I'll keep an eye on the nighttime temps before I start chopping.  

These are the buds today.  

Apart from the "chill factor".  Is this what I should be looking for prior to pruning or should they be bigger?  They're roughly an inch long.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,623

That's what you're looking for but, again, be patient.  Any frosts forecast will affect the ends of stems so leave the dead bits on to take the frosts and then prune when it's milder.  B then your buds should have hardened up enough to cope with any late frosts.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Thanks again?. Just checking for future reference.

Patience isn't a problem for me, I normally follow the weather reports rather than the calendar for my garden timetable image