Natural 'pond' development help

Hi all!
At my work (a lovely woodland holiday club) we have a small stream running over the land to a bigger stream, and halfway through there is a place that looks like a natural pond where the water builds up before it carries on. 

We'd love to develop it into an actual pond, as we have some very eager ducks and it's in a patch of land we want to turn into a wildlife area.

Is it possible to just dig it a bit larger and deeper and it'll be a pond? Or is it necessary to completely drain it and line it? 

Many thanks in advance! image
Kaia 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 17,519

so long as the stream never runs dry, it shouldn't need lining.

Devon.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 785

Kaia, you will probably find that you need permission from the Environment Agency to make any kind of change to a water course even though you are the owner of the land it is situated on.

Might be best to check. 

• Ponds on streams aren't ideal because they tend to silt up quite quickly, and a lot of species don't like the flowing water so much. Look at the website of the Freshwater Habitats Trust (formerly Pond Conservation) for useful information - The Pond Book they sell for £17 has a lot of excellent advice for designing and building wildlife ponds. Link: http://freshwaterhabitats.org.uk/habitats/pond/create-pond/

Too many ducks aren't that great for a pond because they tend to disturb & stir up the water a lot, and eat a lot of the other wildlife. Obviously if a few wild ones turn up naturally that's fine, but when they're fed and encouraged it can be quite detrimental to the pond.

• a1154a1154 Posts: 664

Hi, sounds like a brilliant project. You wont need a liner but accept that the water level will fluctuate. I dug a hole and broke through some field drains to create mine. My advice would be to go bigger than you think you will need. I did talk land and water management agency for this area, and they had no issues and were very helpful. Do take lots of pics!