Forum home Plants

Obelisk planting

pokhimpokhim Posts: 210

Hi there,

I am thinking about buying a tall obelisk, about 1.5m high. I have seen one at homebase which looks cheap, but i'll cover it all in flowers.

Anything I should think about before i do this.. I want it to look dense with flowers throughout spring, summer and into autumn..

Shall i just buy a rose, clematis and sow some sweet peas in around?.. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,579

I think you'll find that 1.5m is really quite small when it comes to providing support for a rose or sweet peas but you could cover it with a clematis that gets to a maximum 3m high if you train it around the structure as horizontally as possible.

You might do better to spend your money on buying some tanalised wood and making a taller and wider obelisk eg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqyvgNAM1CI .

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pokhimpokhim Posts: 210

That is a cool idea!!! And it will keep me busy this weekend!...

Shall I build one 2m high or something?.. Will that provide some good support? You think a rose, clematis and sweet peas will work well in one that high?..

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,579

2m high would be much better.   I wouldn't combine all 3 plants on one obelisk.  It will be overload.  Maybe practise your carpentry skills on an obelisk and then either make a pair or progress to an arch........

There are other designs out there if you google about.  Maybe a pergola so you can grow more plants?

Last edited: 08 February 2017 17:34:21

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,438

I think a rose and a clematis would work well together, but I think Sweet Peas are best on their own. Sweet peas need thin closer together supports to climb up, like wires. My OH put up a trellis for sweet peas for me in the veg garden but they find the wood too thick for their tendrils and I have to give them extra support. Sweet peas also need regular picking to keep them coming and it's not so easy when they are wound around other plants especially roses with prickles!

I have a pale pink "The New Dawn" rose growing with a purple clematis on a stone pillar, that works well and the clematis keeps flowering when the rose has stopped.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • pokhimpokhim Posts: 210

Actually now u got me thinking a bit more.

There are some metal rods i can buy on amazon for cheap which are 6mm thick and 2.5m long. I can bend them into shape and tie them up to make a tall obelisk. 

I already have a rose arch and IO think 4 roses around...so maybe another one might be a bit too much. What about a 2 different clematis which flower at different times?   is it best to get evergreen clematis or not?..

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,438

Be careful if you get 2 different pruning groups with similar leaves. You won't know which to prune when! Otherwise that could work well. Evergreen clematis flower very early in the year. Have a look at this site, lots of info.  http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/ 

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,153

I have clematis up obelisks that work well, but Lizzie's advice is spot on - don't mux up Group 2's and 3's.  The group 3's are easiest as you just chop them down to about 6 inches every Feb and they have covered it all again by midsumme.  I have etoile violette and perle d'azure mixed together image

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,394

Shame you can't "like" on this forum or I'd have liked Chicky's message.

I had Clematis Armandii Apple Blossom in my last garden (which is an evergreen) and it was massive so I wouldn't recommend that for an obelisk.

There is Clematis Napaulensis which is active in winter but not sure how hardy it is in an exposed position and I'm only in my second year with it so not sure how large it gets.

But experiment, there are a lot of Clematis that say patio in their name which suggests to me that they are the smaller varieties.

Make sure you water Clematis in summer, they are thirsty.

Alternatively - a bigger structure as someone else said image