Bird Box

I have a bird box and it faces South.

A friend says it should be positioned so the sun does not make the chicks over heat and die in Spring / Summer

? Any thoughts please

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 637

They are best facing between between north and east avoiding  direct sun light accordng to the RSPB. That is the position ours have been placed, and the sun is always behind the boxes not shining directly on them. the website has lots of useful information regarding nest boxes, well worth a visit.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,393

Can I ask a supplementary question? I've read on rspb and bto websites that boxes "shouldn't be too close together" but it's not clear how close is " too close". 

Any ideas?

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,520

I THINK IT DEPENDS ON THE SPECIES. SOME BIRDS, SUCH AS HOUSE SPARROWS, LOVE TO NEST CLOSE TOGETHER. SOME, SUCH AS ROBINS AND THE TIT FAMILY ARE VERY TERRITORIAL.

FOR BLUE TITS, GREAT TITS ETC I WOULD GIVE THEM PLENTY SPACE. MAYBE 10 METRES APART?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,393

Thanks Pansyface. I knew you'd know.image

Just have to find places for them. I put one up the other day, Hubby said "you'll never get anything nesting in there" 2 days later a wee blue tit was sussing it out. 

Another question, sorry new boy 2, the websites all say 25mm holes for blue tits, but they look tiny. Is that really right?

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,761

If he looks like this, he's got nae chance of getting in Hosta! image

They're really tiny - 25mm is plenty big enough image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Nest boxes should face east to north unless in shade for most of the day, say under a tree or in the shade of buildings they could have other aspects. If in sun most of the day the chicks would overheat. There should also be a clear flight line.  Overhanging foliage and the tits won't like it.  Holes for Blue Tits should be 25mm or bigger and for Great Tits and Sparrows 28-35mm.  Closeness to each other is relative....... I have had them as close as 10-15m apart but it really depends on the relative abundance of a food supply.  Obviously on a housing estate if everyone had a tit box on their house they would not all be used, just not enough available food. RSPB and BTO give the best advice; check out their websites.

Also best to get the boxes up about now as they will be prospecting.  They won't get serious until April but will claim a good nest site from now on.

Last edited: 07 February 2017 20:27:07

• I am going to put up bird boxes - https://www.bto.org/about-birds/nnbw

So I am making sure I get the boxes up soon - want to have some birds using the boxes this year,  so moving them around

Hampshire Gardener
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,402

My sparrow terrace has been up for 5 years and not been cleaned out as it is in an awkward position (facing east under the house eaves).

I had someone yesterday get up there to take it down but a sparrow flew out and made him jump so much he nearly fell off the ladder!!

Needless to say we have left the box well alone so now hoping for lots of nesting activity and the box will have to wait till the autumn for a good clean!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,113

Ive moved it so it faces away from the sun

A blue tit was investigating 2 days ago so I hope he / she can now find it

Its on a fence post 5 foot above the patio with a clear flight path and no over hanging foliage

Thanks friends as usual

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • Madpenguin that must of been a shock hope the bird moves in

Do you think it will be ok for a nest box with hole in to go on a fence post which did not get cut shorter facing the west?

I want a bird to check out the houses that quick that every one else is getting

Hampshire Gardener