A Border Spade which will last?

Today I've broken three spades, whilst digging up brambles at the bottom of the garden. I usually buy the DIY store brand ones in the £10 to £15 price range.  Is it better to pay more? I've seen a burgen & ball spade that says it's breaking strain is 90kg. But it costs £38. 

Does anyone have any advice on what are the best border spades out there? Does paying more mean you get a better quality spade which will last?

Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882

you get what you pay for, you've proved that. I'd go to a car boot/sunday market if such things still exist. Many of my tools came from such places and the rest from my granddad. Old is best.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882

PS you need a mattock for brambles

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,491

The Bulldog range was recommended to me, I got the spade and border fork about 3-4yrs ago and very pleased with them both. Excellent quality and very solid

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,331

Has anyone tried burning them off with one of those garden flame throwing weed burners?

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,272

If you repeatedly break tools you are using them incorrectly.  A spade or fork is not the tool for levering out major roots.  As nutcutlet says, a mattock or pickaxe is far better for breaking the soil away around heavy root growth.

• B3B3 Posts: 9,022

I use a slater's hammer thing - I don't know what it's called but it works really well.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,022

image This is a bit like it, but mine's more solid-looking

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I'd avoid Burgen and Ball, just not strong enough. Bulldog are pretty tough. All my tools are many years old. The steel is strong (not brittle), I've never broken any of them.  The forks are sharp tined, the spades are light and sharp and all the handles are all wood, which is easy on my hands.  Many of mine have come from disposal sites, or shed clearances and I've re-handled a few.  

H-C

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,272
    B3 says:

image This is a bit like it, but mine's more solid-looking

See original post

That flattened head looks like a cross between a pick and a mattock although I suspect considerably lighter to use.