Growing sweet potato

Hi,

Has anyone here ever had any joy with growing sweet potatoes created from slips from shop bought potatoes?

I was thinking of giving it a go as it looks fun and I have a few sweet pots at home bought from Aldi. I have also heard that you can eat the leaves as they are extremely nutritious.

Thanks

Chris

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,690

Hi Chris, I tried large (15cm long), well developed plugs of 3 different varieties which were recommended for UK conditions (purchased at quite some cost as I recall) and grew them in a polytunnel in Leics.  The top growth was excellent but, come harvest time, the resulting crop of tubers was very disappointing.  Others on here have had better results though.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Don't bother if you are in UK.  I tried twice and both times only got leaves and no potatoes.  Sweet potatoes need 100 days of hot summer!

With the high cost of slips you could get sacks of Sweet potatoes at Aldi.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,114

Agree with Bob........small tubers grew

However I gave a potatoe to my Community Garden and they grew large ones in their polly tunnel so I suppose me just chucking bought tubers in the ground and hoping was not enough TLC

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • Torg22Torg22 Posts: 300

Ok thanks. I will expect to be disappointed then and anything other than disappointment will be a bonus :)

I haven't bought any slips but have bought a few Irish grown sweet potatoes from Tesco. Most will be used in my stew tonight and one I will try to grow!! Bit of fun, nothing to lose I suppose. I can always just  eat the leaves.

Peel and cut into chip shapes and boil for 15 mins and then fry in olive oil with some chilli powder

!Chilli Sweet Potato Chips " are good

@ NewBoy2 that sounds yum. We cook with Sweet Potato a lot but normally do mash or wedges in the oven.   When you say fry... do you mean shallow fry with a few tsp of oil etc..?

The same as normal chips..........depends how much you normally use

I also like Bubble and Squeek with SP s instead of normal spuds

Something strange is happening to my potato. I have it half submerged in water and although there are no stems/new growth appearing at the top of the potato it appears that new growth has emerged from the base that is under water. I thought at first that they may be roots but after further inspection it looks like they are coloured and have mini leaves on them.

Does a potato have a correct way up lol?? Perhaps I should flip it over?