Forum home Problem solving

How to get rid of moles?

Or, at the very least, decrease their activity? I never was bothered by an occasional molehill in my garden, but last year there were so many they practically destroyed my lawn. This in spite of the fact I have a cat (she's getting old, and doesn't hunt much anymore, though). I tried also installing a machine emitting ultrasounds that are supposed to scare them off, but the effect was meager. Now that spring is about to begin, I need a better solution, so I put them under control in March.

I'll appreciate any sensible advice!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,199

LOOKING ABOUT THE FIELDS AND COUNTRYSIDE IN MY AREA IT IS CLEAR THAT IT HAS BEEN A GOOD TIME FOR MOLE FAMILIES LATELY.

I HAVE MORE SIGNS OF THEM IN MY GARDEN THAN USUAL TOO.

I PUT IT DOWN TO THE MILDER WEATHER THIS WINTER AND THE WETTER SUMMER LAST YEAR WHICH ALLOWED THE WORMS TO BE ACTIVE FOR LONGER AND TO MULTIPLY MORE.

EVERYTHING GOES IN CYCLES. WHEN THE MOLE POPULATION INCREASES IT WILL EVENTUALLY RUN OUT OF WORMS. MOLES WILL DIE OF STARVATION OR DISEASE AND EVERYTHING WILL GET BACK ONTO AN EVEN KEEL.

JUST WAIT FOR NATURE TO SORT THINGS OUT FOR YOU.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,305

"sensible advice" 

I'd say you have two options. 

1, leave them alone. 

2, set traps to kill them.

You choose.

Devon.
  • Great way to acquire good topsoil! I agree as above - you have those two choices.  My view is that they are delightful creatures, and belong here. It'll be a phase. 

H-C

• Ah, that's why. I'm mad already so moles don't bother me. Same as slugs, rabbits, deer, mice and squirrels.It's vine weevil get up my nose (and that hurts, I can tell you!).

H-C

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555

Moles can be a real pain whether they're just ruining lawns or undermining treasures and leving their roots dangling in tunnels so they die of thirst or making it unsafe to walk because of turning one's ankle - or the feet of precious livestock - in sudden sinking holes and tunnels.

If you live in the UK and can't live with the moles, you need to employ the services of a professional mole catcher.  I have tried humane traps, noises, smells, etc and the only thing that works is a mole blaster which I can buy and use in Belgium and France but I think they're not sanctioned for sale in the UK.  

Our cats caught them occasionally and our terrier would try and dig them out - worse than the molehills really but more entertaining.   Whatever we did, the moles come back when it's time to find a mate and then more disruption when the babies head off to make their own territory.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • In the winter the voles make tunnels under the snow around here. While biking along the creek path last week I got a surprise. The snow is piled high on both sides of the path and something white darted out of the snow bank and stopped in front of me. I slowed down, stopped and then I realized what it was.  A weasel (white fur) with a vole in it's fangs. The vole was squeaking in pain and terror and there was blood flowing onto the path. The weasel dropped the vole and darted onto the bank. The vole's belly was ripped open and it was just flopping around. I quickly biked pass the murder in progress so the weasel could quickly get back to business and put that vermin out of it's misery.

My sister didn't want me to tell her the story, but of course I did.

We always had those mole mounds showing up in the pastures on the farm. Something must have controlled their population because they never became the pests that the gophers always were.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Mole blasters are used in the UK but are not popular because there are no bodies.  Farmers like to pay on production of mole bodies!!

• I have just joined this forum as I also need help with moles, I hate them.  They are everywhere in my garden. I can't put any young plants in as the roots just dangle due to the mole runs.  They even uprooted my young leek plants last year.  I was hoping someone had a solution to these furry pests but it doesn't seem like it as you all seem to have the same problemimage.  I did put some jeyes fluid down some of the mole runs which I suppose just moved them elsewhere.  It makes me feel a bit better though knowing you all have the same problem, so thanks anyway.image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555

if you read back you'll see that the best solution is a professional mole-catcher.  Try Yellow Pages or Google.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you, I suppose it is the only real answer to the problem but, even then they will come back eventually.  I could get a ferret I supposeimage