Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pest proof birdfeeder.

PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,065

At the garden centre, a 'pest proof' feeder. The key feature is that the perches are mounted on a sliding panel which is sprung. When a light bird lands it can feed in the normal way but anything heavy like a rook would cause the panel to come down and cover the feeding hole. These cost a whopping £25 so I would like to know if anyone has tried them.

Near my garden there is a rookery. These birds drive away all the smaller birds and take the food. They are very intelligent and can 'cut' the strings or even break apart weaker feeders so I am reluctant to pay so much if they don't stand up to a determined attack. Any comments would be gratefully received.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I used to live next to a rookery, so close, less than 25m, that I could even see into some of the nests from the bedroom window.  Loved it.  Love Rooks too.  I found, and still find, as I now live a little further away about 200m from a rookery, that Rooks only come to the feeders in the deepest frostiest depths of the winter.  Most of the time they don't bother. They like live food; grubs, worms, leatherjackets and such. My problem is more with Jackdaws and Magpies taking the food from the feeders but only when it's really cold, except for the Magpies which are around more than I would like.  My solution has been to put a wire mesh cage thing that I made out of weldmesh over the tops of the feeders, which seems to work.  The small birds simply go through the weldmesh holes which are too small for the Magpies. 

Last edited: 05 February 2017 20:21:37

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616

I have one of those squirrel proof feeders. It is the second one. The first lasted about 12 years. It annoys the hell out of the squirrels. The big birds don't even try it.

Mine is like this.

http://www.gardenwildlifedirect.co.uk/squirrel-buster.html

It holds a lot of seed.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,065

Thank you both. The rooks certainly liked my feeders and wouldn't let any other birds near. They are amazing birds and I enjoy the rookery in many ways, but I would like to share out the goodies. Also, rooks rob the nests of smaller birds and I don't want to encourage them into my garden.

• The squirrel proof one that has a cover which slides down over the mesh container with the weight of the squirrel, probably the one Fidgetbones mentions, is very effective. Highly amusing, too

H-C

Last edited: 06 February 2017 08:23:47

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,983

I made a cage for the same reason Posy. The little birds were being bullied out quite a bit by the bigger birds- mostly magpies and jackdaws here.

I have a seed and fat feeder inside the cage, and all the little birds can use it, including the robin and dunnocks, who have learned how to perch! The food on the gorund is in several places, so everyone's a winner. The blackbirds get in a gap in a ground cage, which - so far - the bigger birds haven't worked out. They'll need to slim down to get in anyway...  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,135

I find a Guardian cage round a normal feeder much better.I always find the spring loaded or other types of pest proof feeders so fiddly to clean!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

Good points, thank you. I think the cage idea sounds a good solution.

• We used to have a problem with large birds and squirrels.  Best thing I found was the metal sphere nut feeders. Most garden centres have them, they hang with a small chain.  No squirrel found its way into one of them.  They are a lot cheaper than other types too.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,983

The starlings get their head in through the small ones - so make sure any 'cage feeder' you get has a big enough cage that they can't reach the food from the outside. They can empty a feeder very quickly. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

We seldom see starlings, I'm afraid. In fact, as the rookery has grown we have seem fewer and fewer other birds except for pigeons, of which we have a multitude.  We do get passing visits and nothing stops  the robins and blue tits from coming into the hedge but the rooks and jackdaws are very dominant.