Forum home Wildlife gardening

Frogspawn 2017

My OH thought he heard frogs croaking the night before last. I had a chance to check our pond this morning and lo and behold, we have frogspawn.

It's a couple of days earlier than last year, I thought it would be later this year as we have had some hard frosts this winter. We had meant to take out a large clump of yellow flag which is taking over the pond but will have to wait now.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315

Frog spawn spotted to day in Devon too. It wasn't there 2 days ago.

Devon.
  • You can still do that, it won't harm, or are you just using that as an excuse?!  Seriously, though, a bit of disturbance won't affect the frogs in their fun. They're too engrossed in their spring dance to be bothered about the iris moving.

H-C

• MobowMobow Posts: 92

Obviously frogs think it's spring in Devon too

H-C Thanks for your reply too, it's good to know that the frogs won't be disturbed if we removed the iris, though we're probably using it as an excuse not to as it's a bit chilly for pond plodging image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255

I was just having a tidy around the wildlife pond this morning when I realised I was disturbing a pair of frogs having a cuddle image

No spawn yet but at this rate it won't be long.  The pond's only been established a few years and last year we had our first frogspawn - sadly it appeared to be infertile ... but it looks as if this year there's at least one male ready and willing to do the job image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,143

Mine are out already, bit early than usual.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255

Lyn image  I love to see life waking up in the ponds ... the promise of good things to come image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ado AnnieAdo Annie Posts: 20

I've had the calling and the cuddling but no frogspawn as yet ... always a welcome sign that spring is on it's way image

• AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361

Same here Ado Annie We have had the calling and cuddling at the weekend. 

Love this time of year 

• i had a problem last year with spawn dissolving seems to be happening again yet there is so much spawn I have had to put some in tubs

• sorry I was asking if there was anything I can do to help the above have never had this problem in previous years