Forum home Plants

Shoo-Fly Flowers

ForestedgeForestedge Posts: 3,650

I have been offered some seeds of the shoo-fly plant. Just wondering if anyone has grown them and if they become a nuisance or any other helpful comments.   

• I have grown them really nice leaves and blue flowers, they do get quite big plants can be a metre high and stems 2 or 3 cm thick if they like the area planted in,  so do need a bit of support flowers come out for a day or 2 each one, can get 50cm wide so plant them in the right place not too close to a walk way

Hampshire Gardener
  • Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

I've grown them from seed too and always harvest seeds for the following year. They do get quite large so choose the growing site carefully. The seed pods are very pretty, I always leave them on throughout the winter months as a point of interest and for the birds,imageimageimage

• ForestedgeForestedge Posts: 3,650

Thanks Garden Girl and Flowers in the Rain.

Worth giving it a go then!  Thanks for the advice about position etc.  Will they tolerate any shade though?

Thanks aym, I pinched a seed pod from a NT garden ( ? ), had no idea what the plant was.

Apparently it can just appear in gardens because the seed is often included in wild bird food mixes.

Your flowers are beautiful too, so don't be so hard on yourself. I think we're often so in awe of other people's gardens that we tend to look at our own with a critical eye, often not truly seeing  all its beauty. We should all give ourselves a pat on the back more often!???

Last edited: 03 February 2017 12:57:25

Forestedge, I grew several last year and one was planted in quite a shady area. It did as well as the others that received more sunshine.

• Mine was planted in part shade and did really well, I had a few self seeded plants last year which was nice near the house so moved them to the raised flower bed

Flowers in the rain  That is true about gardens it is the grass is always greener on the other side thing

Hampshire Gardener
  • ForestedgeForestedge Posts: 3,650

Thanks Flowers in the Rain.  It is obviously a survivor then!!image

• My Shoofly is 93" long now. Didn't realize how big it would get! Had 2 a white & blue, but the stem on that one broke off. The blue one had many more blooms though 6-8 flowers per branch. White one not nearly as many!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    akmoocow says:

My Shoofly is 93" long now. Didn't realize how big it would get! Had 2 a white & blue, but the stem on that one broke off. The blue one had many more blooms though 6-8 flowers per branch. White one not nearly as many!

See original post

Are you talking about the same plant, 12 foot is very tall for one of those, what country do you live in? 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Midlands of EnglandPosts: 328
    They can be a nuisance forestedge insofaras they self-seed massively, but if you nip the seedheads off you'll avoid that - perhaps leave a single pod on to mature so you have next year's seeds. They're very "good value" plants in that they are structural (huge arching branches), have unusual black stems, loads of flowers and attractive seed pods, both immature and mature. It's amazing the size they reach within a year!