Forum home Plants

Tropaeolum

Paddy5Paddy5 Posts: 82

I bought this plant last year and it was fabulous growing all ove a conifer.  While I see lots of shoots on other plants the stem look completely dead.  Should I have cut it down to its base ?

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 13,262

Most Tropaeolum are annuals and will die after flowering [ annuals ]

It is too early for the Scottish flame flower [ perennial Tropaeolum ] to be showing signs of growth.

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Paddy5Paddy5 Posts: 82

Thank you - it just looks so sad !!  It had been beautiful last year and it is the Scottish Flame Flower.

• It won't be long before it wakes itself up. Then all of a sudden it will fly.

• Paddy5Paddy5 Posts: 82

I hope so it was fantastic last year !! Should I just leave it or do you recommend I cut it back to its base?

• I would wait until it starts growing again so that you can easily identify what is dead and what is alive and then carefully cut out the dead wood only and anything that you don't want such as something growing the wrong way.

You may have to wait until May though depending on the weather and where in the world you are.

• TigrahTigrah Posts: 125

My climbing perennial fuchsia Lady Boothby is the same, toor cooks and too early for anything yet - waiting for spring!