General thoughts?

hi 

we have a new house which we bought for the large garden which we are so happy with. 

Looking to make some general improvements (such as injecting more colour etc) but don't want to ruin it by mistake! 

Ive attached some photos and wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

we are thinking removal of the round bush thing nextvto thecwillow tree and turf it over. But what do we do with the is offshoot down the passage?! And the fenced off. It under the Conner tree!?!?

thanks in advance

laura image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,778

If this is your first year in the garden the best advice is to wait and see what appears this coming season.   Only when you've observed the changes in light, shade, colour and form through a whole year can you make sensible decisions about what's good and bad without making inadvertent bad decisions and maybe removing a treasure or causing problems.

In the mean time, repair any obviously broken bits of fence, prune out any obviously dead wood from shrubs, keep the grass trimmed once it starts growing again (temps above 8C) and maybe apply a weed and feed to the grass in spring and some handfuls of pelleted chicken manure or blood, fish and bone to all the shrubs around the end of Feb.

Take lots of photos, note where the sun shines longest and least and try and make a sketch of what you have.   This will make it much easier to plan changes and improvements later on when you have a clear idea of what you want in your garden and, more importantly, what you don't want.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,470

What a lovely garden - so full of potential - I agree with everything said by Obelixx above image  and what wouldn't I give for a fenced off hidden space for the compost bins, tools, bags of manure, compost, surplus pots that will be needed at a later date - all that sort of thing - envious gardener here image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TigrahTigrah Posts: 125

Obelixx had given some great advice there, wait and see what you think through the growing season and you can start to make changes next year, or perhaps towards late Summer/Autumn. I would also look online ior watch some tv gardening to get an idea of what kind of gardens you like. Take trips to garden centres and bake notes of what would grow where in your garden, taking lighting and drainage into consideration. Looks like you'll have a lovely garden, though. I'm sure you're excited to make it your own!

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,827

what are your fences like behind the shrubs because you'll need a fence if you intend to remove anything in front of it,

some of the hedging plants (as opposed to the shrubs - in particular the privet hedge in the 1st picture) can be cut back hard in late February/early March - it'll look awful for a few months as they grow back but you might be surprised how much garden you gain back.

the bottom photo the big leaved thing looks like a hebe that's past its best with something else growing thru it? possibly a conifer of some sort, if it is when you remove the hebe the conifer will look terrible as well so you'd be better removing that as well.

just remember that all chopping back stuff must happen before nesting season.

• Hi all and thankyou very much for responding. 

We have been through a stressful few months to secure this house and then to do required work on it. The garden was THE main reason we pushed all out to buy. So excited for the kids to spend this summer here. 

So thankyou for the encouraging and kind comments. 

We totally want to do an in line with law (trees/neighbours) md nature (nesting birds etc) and it's big enough for us not to need to change anything to gain space. But it's just to a) stamp it as ours (!) b) remove really unnecessary things ( like the funny round hedge thingy that I'm not sure anything ) c) create room in the unnecessary wastage at the side by removing the hedge so we can have a veg path d) put a bit more colour in d) use the passageway/secret garden to our advantage and finally (!) do something with the empty pond. 

So not a lot then!

really appreciate all advice. Will live in it and see. And try to learn a lot more before we go in heavy handed!

ive attached a panoramic photo now just in case this inspires anyone with any brainwaves.

Again many  

• Ah it won't accept the panorama. Never mind x

• M-K-M-K- Posts: 30

I agree with the others about waiting to see what happens in the garden over the coming months. Exciting! And whilst you're waiting and watching, isn't that round bush and its friends ideal for playing peepo?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,778

There's a size limit on photos so maybe the panorama was too big.

While you're waiting and watching, you can watch the new season of Gardeners' World that starts in March on Friday evenings, repeated on Sunday morning and then Beechgrove which is from a garden enar Aberdeen and also repeated on Sunday morning on BBC2.  Other garden shows are also shown then and there is currently one about vegetables.

If you want to grow veggies, bear in mind that most like full sun so look out fo rthe best spot.  Veggies can be ornamental.  Look for copies of the Ornamental Kitchen Garden and Paradise Gardens, both by Geoff Hamilton.  You may find them at charity shops or else the library.  There's also a DVD box set available from Amazon.    If you have time, buy or borrow a copy of Alan Titchmarsh's How to be a Gardener in book and DVD form.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • M-K-M-K- Posts: 30

Some great suggestions from Obelix. I happen to have Paradise Gardens by my elbow as I write!

Visiting other people's gardens through the National Gardens Scheme is brilliant. http://www.ngs.org.uk/ I find it so interesting to see how other people have solved particular problems.