Edging Tools - University Project Help

Hello,

I am currently working on a project to improve an existing gardening tool to make it more user friendly and pleasant to use.

I  have spoken to a few keen gardeners already but thought that this forum would be a good place to get some wider knowledge.

Essentially, I have chosen to improve the humble edging knife, like this one - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=edging+tool&biw=1680&bih=955&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS69bDqeDRAhWHC8AKHQ6GDfgQ_AUI1wEoAQ#imgrc=KOm-t0k0yIUW7M:.

I want to make this tool easier to use for people who may suffer from disability as well as making it more accessible to people of different heights.

If you could share any of your experiences of using this type of tool (positive or negative) I would be very grateful, as only with comprehensive user research will I be able to develop a truly helpful solution.

Thank you very much, I look forward to hearing from you.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,297
    Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449

I'm assuming you are talking about the half moon edging tool.  For me the main problem tends to be that the handle is too short.  I've got over that by buying the Wolf interchangeable tools and using one of the longer handles.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,112

Me too but, to be honest, OH does a much better job with teh edger on the strimmer than either of us can be bothered to do with the manual edging tool although I do like that for marking out new beds.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,154

Edgers are one of the last tools you use after you have dug and weeded and manured and sown and weeded and harvested and etc etc

Allotmenteers use wooden boards to mark borders

Edgers are more for gardeners than Allotmenteers

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream