Forum home Fruit & veg

Which plants are best to grow indoors

Hi,

I am a complete beginner to this. I live in a flat and don't have any access to a garden whats so ever.

I am hoping to grow some herbs indoors on the window sill, which are best?

Also can anyone recommend good indoors plants?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,258

There are loads of houseplants on the market so you really need to think about things like budget, aspect (light levels and direct sun or not), ambient temperatures, hummidity (som edo best in bathrooms and some in dry air), how much care and attention they need (are you there all the time or occasionally absent for a week or two or more?) etc.

The RHS has this initial advice and then you can search its site for more specific info - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=947

As for herbs, it depends on what you like to cook and again on how well you can care for them. eg Plants like mint and basil need more moisture and less direct sun than thymes. but none is worth growing if you won't use it.  Then there's parsley, coriander, rosemary, bay, French tarragon, which are all essential plants for my kitchen but maybe not yours.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Basil.