Forum home Plants

Proximity of planting Conifer Trees

UzryaUzrya Posts: 15

Hi All, 

I'm new here, and new to gardening :) I am trying to find a few separate opinions on how far to plant a beautiful goldcrest (?) from my house (and neighbours house). It's tiny at the moment. I wanted it as a backdrop to what will be a side little border show of plants, with the conifer hiding the edge of my house from onlookers, and the rather unsightly black drainpipe going up it. But I've read that conifer trees should be at least 5 ft from the nearest building? If that's true, I'm not sure where I can plant it. I have a small garden both front and back, and am surrounded by houses at the furthest back of the garden, as well as the side. 

I also read here on the forum they are not happy in pots?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

Do you intend to grow it in a pot? That will determine how tall it grows. 

You have actually posted two opposing questions:

If it is in a  pot then how far it is from the house is immaterial.

If it's not in a pot, then it should be planted more than 5ft from the house (I would think 10 feet minimum), if you intend to keep it for longer than 10 years as by then it will be 12-15ft high. If only a temporary planting ie after 8-9 years you chop it down, dispose of it and plant something else, you can get away with planting it quite close to the house although I still wouldn't plant it less than 6ft from the house.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • UzryaUzrya Posts: 15

Yes I meant in the ground. 

Boo hoo! 10ft? That's practically in the middle of my close at the front. I could possibly do it at the back, but it could only be in the middle of my very wide but short garden, and then look weird, as it would not be a focal point :( Sad news. But lesson learnt... Plan before buying plants!

Would it be happy if I left it in a huge (ish) pot/container?

Thanks for your response. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,221

IN A POT - AS IT GROWS LARGER AND MORE TOP HEAVY WILL IT BLOW OVER?

IN THE GROUND - DO YOU KNOW THE RUN OF YOUR HOUSE RAINWATER DRAIN AND SEWER SYSTEMS? TREE ROOTS SEEK OUT THE MOISTURE IN SEWERS AND ONCE THEY ARE IN THERE THEY CREATE HAVOC. EXPENSIVE HAVOC.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

I do know where our house drainage and pipes etc run.. But I can't say the same for my neighbours'. Their houses,  I have one neighbour whose front garden neighbours my back garden,  so his house is practically against my side fence. And at the back, behind my garden is a sidelong neighbour whose back garden and side of house runs along half the width of my back garden. I couldn't say how their drains run. 

Suffice it to say, in a previous rented accommodation I have seen roots of a tree in the drainage. Very scarily expensive and reduces price of the house! This is my first house and first garden (ever), of my very own. I conclude I have no space for a conifer. 

Can I get away with small trees...? Can anyone suggest any? Preferably an evergreen. For the furthest corner of my garden, where I always seem to be drawn to. 

Much obliged. 

It's rather a beauty that conifer. Though nothing dwarf about it! 

What's that lovely maroon bush you have in the second photo? It's a fabulous colour. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

Having said all the sensible things I have to say when I moved into this house there was a gigantic pear tree, must have been 30-40 feet high about six feet from the house wall. Tree eventually was chopped down to make room for a conservatory...........so trees and houses can survive in close proximity if you have the courage or the lack of knowledge!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • NewbNewb Posts: 211

Ooo your garden is so beautiful !

I'm in love with your garden! I have a soft spot for Acers. No wonder it caught my eye. 

Is it a dwarf kind? Deciduous? How beautiful. (I digress from the topic) 

I have decided I'm too chicken to plant my conifer into the ground. Perhaps when I'm old and grey I'll be able to afford a bigger garden! Right now I'll just make do. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,935

DHR, where did you get the pagoda summerhouse from?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3