Forum home Fruit & veg

walnuts

I have read that if you crack open a walnut whole you can sow the nut and it will propogate..is this possible

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Don't crack it open, just bury it. Pot or garden. It's how I grew my walnut trees, stuck them in a pot around now (leftovers from a Christmas party) they germinated when spring came, now producing their own nuts which the squirrels bury around the garden and they germinate to make more trees. 

• Thanks nutcutlet...same here xmas left overs..will try the cracked ones as well..but more of the unshelled ones..thank you again

steve

Think nature, no nutcrackers out there. (Except the squirrels)image

Cracked shell should be OK, removed shell, not OK, it will just rot

• ok hint taken..thank you

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,070

Hi Nutcutlet

Do you ever get any nuts for yourselves, or do the Squirrels take them all?  Do the nuts need to be processed to be edible? Our Walnut, which we only planted as a sapling 3 years ago, produced its first nuts last summer (only 2!), but the Squirrels got them both.

Rarely get a nut left for us, Keen. They only need processing if you pick them green for pickled walnuts. Otherwise, for us, they need ripening. Squirrels don't seem to care about ripening. They are mature though when the squirrels bury them, they germinate. Maybe I should take my chance and pick some as the squirrels start next year. Ditto the hazle nuts.

tbh, there aren't enough yet to make much of a harvest, I may put more effort into it in the future.