Forum home The potting shed

Geranium / pelargonium

Is it just me who gets annoyed when big companies such as T&M are advertising pelargoniums as Geraniums?  If these companies wont even name the plants correctly then what hope is there.

Or am I totally wrong and this is perfectly acceptable ? We are told so often that pelargonium's are not geraniums so why don't these companies change and start labelling plants correctly ?

I'm a total novice gardener and i just think how are we meant to learn correctly, when there is conflicting information. 

I have to say I binned the T&M catalogue when I saw this.

Maybe its just me...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,800

Not just you - it irritates the heck out of me too.  image

It's 'cos there's some people who don't understand even tho' it's been explained to them, and they keep calling them what their grandfathers called them and some plant companies aren't brave enough to put Pelargoniums (used to be called bedding geraniums) on their labels.

Problem is, they'll go on telling their grandchildren that they're called geraniums and the problem will proliferate image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

That bothers me less (probably because there are no pelagoniums in my life) than the use of one common name for all species in the genus. eg St John's Wort, Jerusalem Sage. A common name is something applied to one plant in the place where it comes from.  

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

Me too its the pedant in me. It is also important as they have very different needs. I also get annoyed when the producers call plants by their common names first.

Such as Whirling Butterflies  what is wrong with Gaura. .Guara is a much less complicated  word.

Buddleia  aka  Butterfly bush.

And as many more  as you would care to moan about.

Pedantic rant over unless someone else wants a go.

I only came in here to find the steel ruler to measure my curtains and as the computer was still on I got side tracked  by garden stuff.  Still not found it.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

Where did you use it last?

Has someone 'borrowed' it?

Last edited: 21 January 2017 13:48:23

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

I tend to correct people  who say geranium instead of pelargonium.

SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,502

Me too but I also explain why pelargoniums were first mistakenly called geraniums.  I point out the importance of botanical names for correct identification because, as Nut says, common names don't always refer to the same plant and you need accuracy to get the right cultivation details and reduce losses thru error.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Joyce21 says:

I tend to correct people  who say geranium instead of pelargonium.

See original post

Glad it's not just me image

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I found it on a window ledge underneath the  curtains.  I am very distractable.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Phew not just me, imageimage