Forum home Wildlife gardening

Dragonfly?

^What dragonfly is this and whats it doing? Its come to our garden 2 years in a row. It kept doing this for a while. My first thought was egg laying but it was July, and its in a small port by the pond.

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

Female Southern Hawker. Egg laying as you thought (or at least probing for a suitable site). These always lay their eggs above the water, typically in moss covered logs or stones.

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121

How wonderful to capture it in a photograph, it's a beauty!

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 248
    Onopordum says:

Female Southern Hawker. Egg laying as you thought (or at least probing for a suitable site). These always lay their eggs above the water, typically in moss covered logs or stones.

See original post

It was there for roughly 20 minutes or so. Managed to get a few great snaps!

I guess the dragonfly is attracted to my garden because of the pond, but its a fish pond with moving water. (as far as I'm aware they prefer still water). But worry not, I'm inspired to make a small wildlife container pond. I hope that'll do..

• Here's a couple, 'coupling'. Same species.  I caught them in the act,They flew off, still coupled. How skillful is that?!  H-C

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390
    RubyLeaf says:

I guess the dragonfly is attracted to my garden because of the pond, but its a fish pond with moving water. (as far as I'm aware they prefer still water). But worry not, I'm inspired to make a small wildlife container pond. I hope that'll do..

See original post

Southern Hawker is a very common species and will breed quite well in small garden ponds. It might well breed in a fish pond if there are enough plants for the larvae to hide in and escape being eaten.

The pair in Hortum-cretae's photo are Emperor Dragonfly, with a continuous stripe down the back rather than rings.

• You're right, I didn't read carefully enough! They're properly identified in my files, I promise! What amazed me is how they managed to fly still coupled.  I suppose it's like the starling flocks and their co-ordination.  Seriously looking forward to sunny days again. Freezing here and no let up yet. 

H-C 

• RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 248
    Onopordum says:
    RubyLeaf says:

See original post

Southern Hawker is a very common species and will breed quite well in small garden ponds. It might well breed in a fish pond if there are enough plants for the larvae to hide in and escape being eaten.

The pair in Hortum-cretae's photo are Emperor Dragonfly, with a continuous stripe down the back rather than rings.

See original post

I never saw it inspect the plants in the pond (which provide good cover). Still, you never know..