Forum home Wildlife gardening

Help with Victorian Terrace garden

imageimage

We have recently completed a side return rear extension on our Victorian mid terraced house and are at a complete loss with our rear garden. We have bifold doors leading onto patio and then 9x 6 metre area we don't know what to do with and patio at the end ..... any thoughts greatly appreciated ...... It faces East so the patio outside the bifolds gets the morning sun and patio by shed gets evening sun. We have a dog so a lawn is useful and we love entertaining. We don't mind gardening but just can't decide where to start design wise for the garden ..... think we are abit fatigued after the extension work. Thinking more cottage than contemporary modern but open to ideas!? 

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,248

How about laying that stepping stone path in a gentle 'S' shape, with lawn to the right, and a nice planted border on the left (when looking from the house), maybe even with a small tree in it to help block the view of the shed when looking out from the house?

Forgive the basic sketch, but something like this?

Maybe even have a timber archway at the end of the path by the shed patio, leading straight onto the patio, giving a focal point to walk to from the house?

The way you get a nice planted area for you, and a bit of lawn for the dog.

Last edited: 24 January 2017 19:55:13

Another option would be a circular lawn in the centre, surrounded by a border, with the path running through the centre.

• TigrahTigrah Posts: 125
    LeadFarmer says:

Forgive the basic sketch, but something like this?

Maybe even have a timber archway at the end of the path by the shed patio, leading straight onto the patio, giving a focal point to walk to from the house?

The way you get a nice planted area for you, and a bit of lawn for the dog.

Last edited: 24 January 2017 19:55:13

See original post

I actually love this idea! When I eventually move to a house with a bigger garden I may flow the idea myself image

Remember to have a good look at different plants, colours and what soil you have so that you can get a good idea of planting and what you like.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,549

Good plan LF.

Jjo - Don't forget to use you boundaries.  You can string tautened wires at 12"/30cms intervals and then use them to train climbers such as roses to give you perfume and along season of flowers or clematis if you have children and don't want thorns.  There are roses and clems suitable for both south and north facing aspects.

I would put the washing whirlygig right next to either terrace so you have solid ground to stand on if it's been damp.  If you make it the end near the house you won't need the stepping stones and won't be tempted to walk on sodden or frozen grass in winter.

Last edited: 25 January 2017 09:53:38

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Im bored today, can you tell!!

A circular lawn could look nice, with a stepping stone path leading through it, framed with box balls at each end of the path, and an wooden archway at the shed end of the path to walk through. Keep the stepping stones slightly below the level of the grass so your mower can go straight over them.