Forum home Plants

Buying a greenhouse

Sandra100Sandra100 Posts: 130

Hello!

Finally decided to invest in a greenhouse, I had one 6 years ago which was already in the garden and got tons of use out of it.

Had a really bad experience with a second-hand one on Ebay so want a new one now.

Been looking at a Hall's one from Greenhouse Stores, not the cheapest nor the most expensive but seems to fit my needs.

Anybody got any experience using them?

Not sure of the orientation to choose.  Garden is south facing and to make the best use of space will be putting it against a wall on a east to west angle.

Have decided to pay someone to install, because of bad Ebay experience mentioned.  Anybody got any ideas how much I should pay for an 8x6 Aliminium and Glass one?  

Thanks in advance for replies, really appreciated!

• It would depend is the foundation already there and uou just intend on someone to erect the greenhouse , just to erect it 1 person I would say 2 days .

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,869

Hi Sandra

I recently bought a Rhino Premium greenhouse 8 x 10 which I am thrilled with - excellent build and quality.
    2 guys came to install it and it took them about 5 hours, but that included the staging/blinds etc.
    The basic cost for the greenhouse to be installed on paving was £310 - with all the extras it was £410

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Sandra100Sandra100 Posts: 130

Hiya Pete and Jason

Thanks for your replies.

Pete was the £310/£410 you paid additional to the cost of the greenhouse?

Looks fantastic by the way, not surprised you're really chuffed!

Best, Sandra.

• They  are not hard to do sandra , I bought new as second hand more can go wrong and everything needs cleaning false economy , I have built 2 within a year  , you do need a little help joining all the built sides together but after that just take your time  I know have a 5 x 8 and a 10 x 6  the latter not really been used as only finished it in October just got myhanging baskets trees in their with pansys .

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

The other thing is to get as big a one as you can afford / fit in the space. "I wish my greenhouse was smaller" is one of those things you never hear a gardener say. I think the 8' wide models are quite good value compared to 6' because you get a significant increase in growing area for a modest price rise. Plus proportionally less space is taken up by the path. The eaves and roof height is also something to consider if you want to grow taller plants like tomatoes - smaller greenhouses can be a bit low and cramped.

Make sure you get adequate ventilation with automatic openers, especially the roof vents. Otherwise it can overheat very quickly.

An advantage of putting it up yourself is that at the end you can be confident you've done a good job (hopefully), and haven't cut any corners / bodged it at all. Plus, you can put the cost of an installer towards getting a larger model.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

We bought ours from Dovetail Greenhouses to fit an existing base and low wall. We had to give VERY accurate measurements because it is non standard. It came with full and clear instructions which my husband followed without difficulty - he is an intelligent and capable man but not a builder or glazier. It was expensive compared to an off the shelf one but it is of excellent quality and is a source of daily usefulness and pleasure.

With this experience behind him he was able to take down, move and rebuild an 8x6 greenhouse for a friend. Careful note must be taken of how every piece is positioned before you take out a single screw or pane. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,869

Hi Sandra - yes, the installation cost was in addition to the cost of the g/house.

Pete

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hello

have you tried 

www.thegreenhousepeople.co.uk

great choice including traditional wooden Altons for warmth and several types of metal inc new designs

had mine a few years - great service

they make most of them themselves - owned by 2 brothers

sell direct and via garden center distributers were you can see them

good web site & lot FAQ also accessories, extras like staging and spare parts

they were very helpful by email and on phone - hope this helps

i am sure you will enjoy

john 719

Hello

Thanks to everybody for their helpful posts.

John, I have looked at Greenhouse People, but a bit too pricey for me, unfortunately!

Have decided to go with Greenhouse Stores.  They are cheaper, but have a good choice.

If anybody has any experience of using them, would appreciate hearing it.

Not ordered one yet though, am waiting for a price for the installation.

Many thanks.

Really excited as have got a very good price for the installation.

Going to order it tomorrow.

Can't wait!!!

Sandra.