Forum home The potting shed

January Delights

I've been thinking about the little moments which have made me happy in January and reviewing the images which remind me of them. Top of the list are my indoor chilli harvest, the redwings on next door's cotoneaster and the hamamelis outside my window. There are more images and thoughts on my blog...

https://dogwooddays.net/2017/01/14/january-delights-inside-and-out/

What other moments of January delight are out there? I'd like to know what else to look for in this darkest of months. Thanks                                     

imageimageimageimage

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

What cheers me up is looking forward to the new season and dreaming of what's to come. I've got helebores slowly coming into flower and crocus and waiting for all the spring bulbs.image

• Winter sunrises - more conveniently timed than summer ones!image

Tree skeletons, the inherent mathematics that makes them grow and still preserve their shapes.

The subtle shades of winter landscapes and being able to see the Earth's 'bones' without all the vegetation of other seasons.

Walking in virgin snowimage

Those precious days of blue and silver when everything glitters and sparkles after a hard frost - and there is no mud! Mud is the worst thing about winter for me.image

Little indications that Spring is still on the agenda - fresh molehills, noses of bulbs, stubby catkins and buds and even flowers on the real tough guys like Hellebores and Daphne Mezereum.

Going through the seed catalogues and visualising how perfect everything will look this yearimage

• Thank you both for sharing the little moments that make you happy in January. I love hellebores Logan and agree that seeing them emerge at this time of year is really special. 

Buttercupdays - what a lovely list of winter delights - made me smile as I read it. I think we're really lucky in the UK to live in a country where seasons are so much a part of our natural experience image

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Beautiful sunrise pic. B'cupdays plus the "bare bones" at this time of year.

SW Scotland
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,786

That sunrise pic is amazing buttercupdays, you do live in a beautiful part of the worldimage

Not much makes me happy in Jan tbh dogwooddays, but I love daffs and some have started to appear above the ground. Planted some more early ones last autumn to try and get the show on the road earlierimage 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,793

My January has been spent by the pool and endless waking hours in bed at night thinking of projects for the garden this season when I get home on 31st.

There seem to be lots of jobs I need to get done before the birds start nesting so I need to prioritise carefully before I start. 

Mercifully the nights will be shrinking and there should be lots of daylight to get jobs done. Splitting hostas and agapanthus water lilies in polytunnel for rainy days as a good backup.

Looking forward to seeing lots of bulbs poking through when we get home too.

Devon.
  • Hi Victoria Sponge - glad that daffs are cheering up your January - I've planted loads in my small front garden and there are no noises poking yet, but I'm always excited when they do!! ☺ 

Hostafan1 - yes there's nothing better than working in the potting shed or polytunnel when it is pouring down outside  ☺ 

Last edited: 16 January 2017 12:18:28