Forum home Problem solving

pins and needles after weeding

Good evening. I was doing  some weeding today. Little ones along a fence. Something sharp  pricked my thumb. But its a few hours later and i have pins and needles in not just my thumb but several other  fingers. Should i be worried? Anyone know what type of weed has this effect?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,184

Sorry if I state the obvious, but could it have been a stinging nettle?
    Even this time of year I see tiny plants growing from the roots

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Does stinging nettles give you pins and needles? I havent got any bumps you normally have at the site. Normally its just a little itchy not whole hand bad and delayed reaction. 

Thanks for tetanus reminder. I def should you never know what you are going to come into contact with. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,827

It could have been a bite from a spider in the undergrowth. Take an antihistamine such as cetirizine or loratadine, and if the pins and needles seems to be getting worse or spreading, consult a GP in the morning.

If you don't have an antihistamine in the house, there will be late night chemists open or supermarkets. If there is a pharmacy counter, ask there, but if not, look for it in the medicines area. It may not say cetirizine or loratadine if they only have brands, you may need to look at the ingredient list.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

and don't forget, the more you think about it, the more they'll tingleimage

• Sounds more like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome to me. Especially if there are no obvious bite marks/raised rashes.

CTS is a common repetitive strain injury experienced by gardeners. Speak to your doctor as sometimes CTS can be an indicator of other undiagnosed health issues (such as diabetes).

• Did you ever get to the bottom of the pins and needles as I just pulled a few weeds up in garden without gloves and felt something sting me but now a few hours later my whole hand is pins and needles and stingy even in places where I wasnt stung ?
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,827
    A hibernating wasp maybe? Or a spider?

I see that young nettle leaves are sprouting already.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • koyukanokoyukano Posts: 72
    Stating the obvious you both haven't just been sitting in an awkward position for a while with your arm bent restricting blood flow as this causes pins and needles and would account for why you're getting it several hours later.