Forum home Fruit & veg

Column Plum Tree: Will it grow into a bush?

Hi,

I mistakenly bought a super column gage tree instead of a bush shaped tree and want to know if it will try to grow into a bush shaped tree which is what we want. i assume that it will try and with careful pruning we can help it achieve that. Is this right?

thnaks 

rob

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,520

I IMAGINE THAT IT IS ONLY COLUMNAR BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN MADE TO BE COLUMNAR BY STRICT PRUNING.

LEAVE IT ALONE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND I AM PRETTY SURE YOU WILL GAVE QUITE A LITTLE BIRD'S NEST TO PLAY WITH.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,630

It appears that these trees have been developed by Chris Bowers & Sons - I would contact them for guidance. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Rob45Rob45 Posts: 14

Thanks. Dove, I tried but no reply yet. Will plant it and watch with interest!

IF IT IS ONE OF THE CHRIS BOWERS "SUPERCOLUMN" ONES THERE IS NO GREAT MYSTERY TO IT. IT WOULD APPEAR TO JUST BE A REGULAR M27 ROOTSTOCK FOR APPLES ETC. ETC.

SEE HERE

https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/supercolumns.php

SO, LEFT ALONE, THE TREES WILL JUST GROW INTO VERY SMALL BUSHES. I THINK!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Is this fastigiate growth grafted onto the rootstock? If so it won't bush out any more than a Lombardy poplar would.  

TRUE. SOME VARIETIES SPREAD OUT SIDEWAYS NATURALLY, LIKE THIS ONE

AND SOME TAKE A MORE VERTICAL APPROACH TO LIFE.

DO YOU KNOW THE NAME OF THE VARIETY? THAT WOULD HELP A LOT.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I have super column apples, they will grow into a tree if you leave them.image

• Rob45Rob45 Posts: 14

Thanks all, that's very helpful. It's a Denistons Superb gage, not sure of the rootstock as it wasnt actually on the documentation or the website, but the only two choices were St Julienne or Pixy Dwarfing. Will contact Chris Bowers again but never had a reply from them yet.

THE ROOTSTOCK WILL BE PIXY. ST. JULIEN IS TOO TALL.

AS NUTCUTLET SAID, A TALL THIN TREE WILL BE A TALL THIN TREE WHATEVER ROOTSTOCK IT GROWS ON. BUT HERE IS A PHOTO OF YOUR VARIETY AND YOU CAN SEE THAT IT NATURALLY MAKES A NICE BUSH SHAPE.

SO YOU SHOULD BE OK IN THE END. JUST NEGLECT IT A LITTLE.image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,708

I had four of these. I pruned as instructed and got no fruit. I let them go mad, they branch like a normal tree. One got silverleaf due to a neighbour helpfully pruning it at the wrong time. Two fruit every five years or so and the squirrels eat the exquisite golden plums before they are fully ripe. The Victoria fruits heavily most years, with bough breaking years about one  in three.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3