Forum home Plants

Fertilize penstemons?

CraighBCraighB Posts: 712

Hi guys,

I was given a gardening note pad for Christmas so I thought it would be a good idea to make notes about how to grow each plant thats in my garden. It will save me a lot of time as I usually use Google.

I am currently on Penstemons and I can't find a definitive answer on fertilizing them. some websites say to feed them and others say not to as it promotes lush growth and no flowers. Could someone please tell me I feed them or not and if you do what kind of fertilizer?

Last edited: 09 January 2017 21:01:39

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027

General rule of feeding plants [ probably over simple, but works for me ]

Mulch: Spring or Autumn

General purpose fertiliser eg. FBB in Spring and maybe again in Summer.

High Potash feed in Summer for heavy flowerers.

Some people use specific Rose and Clematis feeds, I don't bother and all seems to work fine.

Try to keep it simple, there is no need for separate regimes for different flowers.

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148

I do the same as doc - it's easy to over complicate everything. FB&B for me too, and I use tomato food as the extra kick for clematis and anything else which flowers a lot.  

Keeping your soil healthy is something that often gets forgotten too. Adding compost and/or well rotted manure when planting anything new, as a top dressing in early spring, or as a mulch going into winter will replenish it, and help everything grow well. It  also helps with moisture retention and weed control. Everyone's a winner image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• apeace1apeace1 Posts: 1

Still not sure whether above applies to penstemon. have many varieties and none are flowering. Should I feed or not ?

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,842

Yes try a high Potash feed now preferably one you can water on it will work faster Examples are Chempack No 4, Tomato feed such as Tomorite-(there are may other tomato feeds); Flowerpower, Incredibloom or if you have Comfrey you can make your own. Mind, it is getting late in the season so it  may not do that much this year. It may be worth mulching now as well.  Are they getting enough Sun is the ground free draining ? They hate sitting in wet ground.

AB Still learning