Forum home The potting shed

Best Gardening tv shows

Hi everyone - I was wondering, what are your favourite gardening programs on tv?

I only really know Gardeners World, Beachgrove Garden, but which others should I look out for this year? 

found an old show that's being repeated on CH4 at the moment - The Autistic Gardener - was cool :) 

i think there should be more gardening programs :)

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,915

I prefer Beechgrove over gardeners world as they do more trials and should you how to basic stuff where as gardeners world has become more looking at established gardens or gardens which people have a lot of money to throw at them.

big dreams small spaces is good, as was the one Charlie Dimmock did last summer, as they show you how far money goes in a garden.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Being up north, Beechgrove gives me a better idea of planting times and plant hardiness but I enjoy watching all garden programmes even if I'm critical afterwards.

SW Scotland
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,879

I enjoy Beechgrove and GW.  GW particularly since the change to the 1 hour long version.

I really didn't much like the Charlie Dymock programme.  She and the blokes seemed more determined to outdo each other than to provide a practical garden.

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254

I agree with KT53, CD program I watched because it was a gardening show!!! but thats all.

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,535

I really enjoyed the CD programme and most designs were excellent.

The Autistic Gardener was great hefty, I really enjoyed that one too.  Another good one was the Instant gardener and of course Alan titmarcsh love my garden image

• Totally agree with Patsy F, like her I loved seeing how Ross (and his allotment) came on and grew in confidence and what looked in the beginning like a totally uphill task ended up being a really lovely outside space, and with a tiny budget too.

Love your Garden, the AT programme I found incredibly annoying to watch, although I did pick up a few tips.  The amount spent on the gardens was to me totally OTT and as Patsy again pointed out too much cloying sentimentality.

Looking forward to the return of GW and the new format!

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

The edible garden with alice fowler, get it on iplayer its lovely, i have watched every episode over and over, i love her gentle manner and simple way of doing things and how she shares her produce with friends, it is a must for me ?

Verdun says:

I enjoy them all.   image

My ideal garden prog would be presented by nurserymen/ growers.....Adrian Bloom for example.  Inspirational and adventurous.  A prog from salvia growers, helenium growers, etc etc. Progs  from the experts showing their varieties.  Take note please tv producers image

See original post

I have great idea Verdun image

why don't you make some short films and put on you tube image 

Patsy I love Matthew  Wilson on GQT, he is an amazing designer and plantsman and has a wicked sense of humour image