Forum home The potting shed

Puzzlers Corner

• He he Hazel you've taken your sorry back image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,967

I'm getting a bit lost now... Can't remember which books we used at school other than the various Ladybird books and - a bit later on - 1970 or thereabouts - a Latin primer which was printed before the War (and that would be the First WW!). Ancient crusty teacher who saw no need to change the books he'd been using for over 50 years.

Did anyone work out the 2nd book in this weekend's quiz? I wondered if it might be "The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler.

Apologies if I missed that someone has already posted the correct answer.

Thanks for doing these LB - good to get the grey cells workingimage

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,967

Thanks M-U - I thought it had been solved but couldn't see where - eyes are painted on todayimage

I hated Latin. As I said before we used ancient books and had an ancient teacher to learn an ancient language. After said teacher retired the school didn't offer Latin for years. Unsurprisingly nobody had continued Latin beyond the mandatory 2 years and nobody could remember the last time a student had done Latin O level.

Then about 15 years ago a lively, young teacher started teaching Latin again using modern language techniques, modern books, offering visits to see Latin inscriptions etc etc  and generally helping pupils to  understand modern language derivation.

Within a few years they had pupils studying Latin through to A Level.

Good teachers are worth their weight....image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,816

My Latin teacher was a horrid man called Vincent Kelly. If we made any mistakes we had to write the corrections out 10 times. I went through more exercise books than the rest of the class put together. They were all full of corrections. Oddly enough I can now see where some English words have been derived from Latin so I think I am probably about ready to learn Latin now. Similar with Math. image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

M-U and T'Bird my Latin book was called 'From Ur to Rome' and I can remember learning mensa as table and amo; amas; amat etc. as the verb to love.

Ha Lantana. You just brought back another horrid memory. Kelly made us read aloud and insisted we used the 'w' sound whenever there was a 'v'. I was completely traumatised. image

This is the 'germ free' thread Lantana - tee hee

Eeeek! Was his first name Vincent? My Mr Kelly was also a small man with greasy sort of gingerish hair. I cannot remember glasses though. He taught me from 1960-63 in Kuala Lumpur.

Nighty night Lantana and anyone else looking in on here. Catch you tomorrow.