Good Pruning Saw

After being inspired by Monty on last nights 'Big Dreams Small Spaces' I have decided to tackle the apple tree in the garden that casts so much shade over the garden in summer. I was impressed with the pruning saw he used and wondered if anyone could recommend a decent one? I have had a look online this morning and there are so many to choose from and with prices ranging from under to £10 to £80 plus I could do with a bit of advice, I was hoping to spend no more than £30 if possible...

• SlumSlum Posts: 260

I bought b&q's Verve pruning saw about 3 years ago. It has seen fairly regular use in a medium sized garden and is still sharp. 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

I bought "emergency" loppers (in Homebase) last year when my good ones went in the recycling skip (possibly image). They are Spear and Jackson and came as a set with a pruning saw which I thought I'd never use.

It's brilliant!

It's been used regularly and is still sharp. If I need to replace it I'd probably get the same make. It's a handy wee thing for the odd branch rather than faffing the chainsaw out every time.

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,382

I bought a non-folding pruning saw in Lidl a few years ago, thinking I'd hardly use it so didn't want to spend much. I think it was £3.99! It saw LOTS of use and was utterly brilliant. However, after all that use it was getting a bit blunt so when I saw them again in Lidl last year I bought two of their folding ones. They weren't nearly as good (still cheap as chips though), and when I had a bigger job to do I reverted to the old one, which was sharp enouh if I was careful which bit of the blade I used. Before I had discovered this fact, I had missed the Lidl non-folding ones which were in store a bit later. This year I'll get one when I see one. The folding ones are perfectly good for little jobs.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,805

I have a Wolf pruning saw which I can fit to one of the different length handles so short when the branch is low, medium for when it's deeper in a tree or thick enough to need two hands and long for above head.  I also have Wolf loppers for branches up to 1"/2.5cms.

The Wolf handles also fit my various hoe and cultivator heads plus a rake, broom, lawn edger and so on.  Excellent system.  Sturdy and good value and can be added to according to needs and budget.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,432

I'm with Obelixx on this one.  The different length handles are brilliant.  The longest I have extends to around 12' so I can cut most stuff without a ladder.  The saw is lethally sharp too.  They aren't cheap, but a good investment in my view.

• There's nothing sharper or better than a Silky, £25 and upwards, but they're the best. I've always used them,never let me don. Arboriculturists and trees surgeons use them, too.

H-C

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,610

I've bought many Best Buys from suggestions on the FredShed website and never been disappointed.
    http://www.fredshed.co.uk/bigboys.htm

Fred also highly recommends the Silky, I bought the cheaper Bacho saw and am very pleased with it.

I have no affiliation to the guy whatsoever, but can't fault his recommendations 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • My husband bought the Wilkinson Sword pruning saw for £19.99 and he says it works really well. Link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilkinson-Sword-1111144W-Pruning-Saw-and-Holster-From-the-Argos-Shop-on-ebay-/351642247177?hash=item51df82e009:g:oQkAAOSwnbZYIQsa

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,610
    edited April 2018
    Coincidentally every single one of your recommended pruning saws are made by the same manufacturer. It could even be interpreted as an ad by some...

My choice is a Bahco pruning saw

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 316
    bought a cheap one years ago from Wilko or similar store and....it's useless, don't ever use it, i bring out a normal wood saw, or a big bow saw.  frankly a normal wood saw works surprisingly well, in live or dead wood.  i know it shouldn't.    i know i should invest in a decent pruning saw.

on a similar note, i have some squirrel damaged branches i'd really like to chop before the tree leafs up (on the live branches!).   i have long ladders but even still they won't get high enough.....branches perhaps one inch to three inch diameter, does anyone have a clear idea on the best tool for sawing up ladders, whilst still reaching a fair bit higher?