Coal and wood ash

I've emptied Ash remnants from our open fire around our cherry blossom tree in the past. There have been no discernible side effects, but my wife thinks this is wrong and harms the tree. Is she right as always?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,195

Hi image

What do you burn on your fire?  I wouldn't use coal ash on the garden.

Last edited: 07 January 2017 08:50:50

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• It's a mixture of coal and tree Wood.

As I said, I would not use coal ash on the garden.  It can be harmful and contain toxins.

Information here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=621

Looks like the wife wins again (we usually do image)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• cornellycornelly Posts: 603

Years ago when I mixed my own version of JI composts for growing chrysanths I ran out of grit, so used fire ash (coal) in its place, and where I always had leaf miner as a pest that year and then for years after ecause I continued to use it not leaf miner, never used it for veg but have used it for other pot plants without any ill effects.

It obviously had ill effects on the Leaf Miners image   I wouldn't use it on the fruit or veg patch in case it did the same to me as it did to them image

• VishuVishu Posts: 191

You can use the ash. I always do. It is a natural source of potassium. Use in flowering plants and bulb plants as it encourages root growth.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Wood ash is excellent for plants, containing lime, potash and trace elements.  Coal ash is not good.  If you want to use the ash from your fireplace, stop burning coal....simple as that really.  

Last edited: 07 January 2017 19:06:53