Loppers

Could someone, in words of a maximum of two syllables (I'm mid-viral brain dead here) explain the difference and uses of the different types of lopper.

@ed and want to buy a good, new one which I will selfishly keep for myself.. I have retained some [email protected]@p ones to lend to neighbours.

In London. Keen but lazy.

• B3B3 Posts: 9,075

Thanks for replies but it's the anvil or by pass thing that confuses me.

What are advantages/ disadvantages of each and do I need to buy both?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,466

I like the bypass ones. I have one that is over 30 years old but I don't know the make. OH had anvil ones which I didn't like, but maybe that was because they were extendible and one arm kept extending when you didn't want it too. I've just bought him some bypass Fiskars ones which seem good.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,550

With anvil loppers or secateurs the blade cuts down onto the block of metal on the other side. A bit like a knife against a chopping board.

With bypass loppers / secateurs the 2 parts glide pass each other - the same as a normal pair of scissors.

I prefer the bypass action because (if the blade is anything less than razor sharp) the anvil action tools can crush a stem rather than cut it. I also find it harder to get an angled cut with anvil.

I think the bypass action is a bit more forgiving.

I have mainly Wolf tools and have found them to be excellent long lasting pieces of kit.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,604

The anvil ones are stronger if you are cutting lots of thick, tough branches.  The blades on bypass types (especially the cheaper ones) can break or jam on this type of material if they twist while making a cut.  Having said that, I do prefer the bypass type for most work for the same reasons as topbird.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,075

Sounds like bypass is the type to go for

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,256

I have Felco bypass secateurs and Wolf anvil loppers but would like to get a shorter handled pair of bypass loppers when I see a good pair.   Lots of trees to sort out in this new garden and, as said above, they are kinder and, I think, easier to use.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,283

Bypass will generally get into narrow spaces than anvil due the the larger 'anvil' jaw.  I've used bypass with some fairly thick branches but generally use a pruning saw for old wood over about 1 1/2" in diameter.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,502

I have both.
    I use the anvil type to cut up dead stuff and the bypass for pruning live stuff - it gives a much cleaner cut.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Leif2Leif2 Posts: 12

I've broken several loppers. Get big ones, they last longer. My Wilkinson Sword bypass ones are simple and effective. Wolf Garten tools are in my experience very good. I broke a Fiskars lopper.