Forum home Fruit & veg

apple trees in pots

where I live we are not allowed to plant in the ground everything has to be in pots and last year I planted an apple tree (don't no variety)with not bad results,the problem I have is how to prune it and also how to look after it in the coming year,any help will be much appreciated.thanks in advance.michael

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,520

CAN YOU REMEMBER IF THE FRUITS APPEARED AT THE ENDS OF THE BRANCHES OR ALONG THE BRANCHES OR BOTH?

CAN YOU SHOW US A PHOTO OF IT?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • the apples were on the end and they were slightly red when cut in half.im sorry I did not get a photo

• imagesorry I have found a photo hope this helps

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,520

IT'S CERTAINLY A HAPPY LITTLE TREE AND COVERED IN BLOSSOM.

IT IS A RATHER UNUSUAL SHAPE, HAVING TWO STEMS ARISING FROM GROUND LEVEL, AND BEING SO TALL AND NARROW IN FORM. DO YOU REMEMBER WHERE YOU BOUGHT IT?  I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED IT TO BE SOLD WITH ONLY ONE MAIN VERTICAL STEM. HAVING TWO MAKES PRUNING IT IN A TRADITIONAL WAY RATHER DIFFICULT. 

IS IT A CRAB APPLE RATHER THAN AN EATING OR COOKING APPLE? IT LOOKS LIKE A VERY COMPACT LITTLE TREE.

PERSONALLY, I WOULD LEAVE IT FOR A FEW MORE YEARS TO DEVELOP ALONG ITS OWN LINES AND NOT INTERFERE WITH ITS SHAPE. WHEN THINGS BEGIN TO GET CONGESTED OR LOPSIDED I WOULD TRIM A FEW BITS AND PIECES OFF IT BUT OTHERWISE LET IT GROW AS IT WANTS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,629

I think you've got it Pansy - it looks like one of the upright growing modern dwarf crab apples to me - possibly 'Laura'

https://www.pippintrees.co.uk/trees/crab-apple-trees/malus-laura

a pretty thing and ideal for container growing although it will need plenty of water and repotting from time to time - use John Innes No 3 loam based compost.

As you say it shouldn't need much in the way of pruning image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• many thanks to both of you for all your help with my tree I shall do as you say and tet the tree do its own thing for a couple of years and see how it goes,once again many thanks for all your help.best wishes Michael.image