Forum home Wildlife gardening

Why don't the birds visit my feeder?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,143

I'm not entirely sure what a 'bird hotel' is, but wet seed makes no difference to the birds. image

The only problem is when wet seed stays uneaten in a feeder and then goes mouldy. If that's the case, it's best to put less food out at a time. In milder weather, birds rely less on the extras humans provide, so I think this year a lot more bird food has possibly got wasted. I have feeders which are well sheltered, but I don't fill them full every time - I fill according to how much is being eaten daily so that there's not too much exposed to the elements. Hope that makes sense - I know what I mean! image

Keep an eye on how much gets used over a couple of days, and adjust accordingly. It's not an exact science, and weather, plus the amount and type of birds being attracted are the main factors. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 35

Thanks Fairygirl. It's a standalone feeder with 2 shelves, one for water and one for seeds and a little roof. I don't think it's been eaten yet, I put it out soon after christmas.  So I'll have to wait a bit longer. 

Ah - if it's been out that long and isn't getting eaten, it might be better to get rid of it, give the shelf a clean, and put a little handful of new food out. image

If you have small birds coming in - robins, tits, finches etc, they'd appreciate a little cover from the tree, so I think you could move it a little nearer. They possibly use the tree for shelter anyway. 

I use a mix suitable for that kind of bird and mix a bag of sunflower hearts in as well, but it might be worth while trying some of those on their own, and see what happens.  You can also add to your mix depending what birds you see, and how often. If they're visiting for the peanut feeder, they'll eat other things too. It's often a case of trying something and then building on that - and a bit of patience! image

• BanditaBandita Posts: 35

Cool, thank you. image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

I was bought a feeding station for Christmas, for the birds of course not me image I too have found the regular seed mix contains lots of wheat, so bought some sunflower hearts, stripey sunflower seeds and a 'Robin mix'. Peanuts are provided too.

A wood pigeon did make me laugh today by standing in the water bowl platform, thereby giving himself access to an adjacent tube feeder.

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 967

I have the problem of squirrels and pigeons. The pigeons left for months and I noticed one has come back a few days ago. I think it's because my dad started putting bread out on the patio again. I told him to stop months ago and he did, and the pigeons stopped coming. But they are back. I really hope they don't keep coming back because they make such a mess and dominate the garden. But anyway, the small birds aren't coming as much and even if I do put seeds on the feeder, the squirrels take it, or now maybe the pigeon will start again. This has been a very informative thread - I never knew there were robin mixes. I too have been using a wild seed mix but do have some sunflower hearts. I also have suet balls which are a bit old because again when I did put them on the feeder, the squirrels just kept taking them away.

Last edited: 10 January 2017 22:22:13

Whatever else you feed, don't put bread out wakeshine. It's really bad for birds, and all it does is attract the 'riff raff'  image

The wild seed mixes are often bulked out with wheat as well which is the big pigeon attracter.  A no mess mix is great because even if there are bits and pieces which don't get eaten, there's hardly any sprouting in among your plants and on paths and grass.  No messy sunflower husks either, so you get more actual food for the weight.

There's usually a good proportion of sunflower hearts in the no mess mixes as well,  but I add a bag to mix in with it. image

If you can use a cage of some kind for a hanging feeder - you can buy them - it prevents the bigger birds and squirrels nicking everything and lets the little birds get some grub image

Last edited: 11 January 2017 08:05:38

• hi oxana    as a few say it dose look like more wheat I get my bird seed from a feed w/house for animals dogs and  farm/alike I pay more for seed than the dog food about  £25 pound a bag..   but the good thing is I get finchs b/tits coal tits  robins black birds a new interloper robin  tried a take over a couple weeks and the older resident sorted him out .. in my back garden we have robins/black bird finchs  ( forgot to say above birds are in my allotment)   the wife has just went outside to feed birds as they are sitting on fence waiting she has a robin that will almost come to her hand about 6ins away our resident collar dove waits and flys down to meet her      Michael

• WhippetWhippet Posts: 127

We find  the most popular food is Wilkos suet...but the pink sort. Its the first thing to go and isnt too expensive either bag or box.

• It took a long time until birds started visiting regulary, maybe a month. Now they are there a lot. I get finches, tits, robins, magpies, woodpeckers for the peanut butter. And in addition pigeons and blackbirds for the "bird hotel" (feeding station). They had managed to move a central small cup (egg cup size) that was located (in a small hole) in the middle of the feed shelf so that 2 doves could sit in it, sitting on the feed while eating it. It's also popular with other birds. The pigeons/doves don't fit and it's rather funny. I also put the jar of peanut butter on the floor when it is getting empty and that's very popular with blackbirds and robins. In the end the feed didn't matter, mine has got sunflower hearts in it. 

Last edited: 26 February 2017 13:19:32