Why don't the birds visit my feeder?

hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone had this issue. I have several bird feeders around my garden for wild birds and two weeks ago I refilled them for Christmas. The fat balls are almost all gone but the seeds nahvet been eaten at all. Can it be the problem with the seed content? It's a new pack I bought from Pets at Home. Previously in that feeder were sunflower seeds and theyve gone very quickly. 

Any thoughts imageplease welcome 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 13,808

Some bird seed mixes contain cheaper seeds of less interest to birds and if yours are used to sunflower seed they may be turning up their beaks.  If it's been mild they may need less food as they can scavenge elsewhere.   There may also be competition from other people feeding birds witha  different mix.

I have recently moved and am happy to say the birds here have taken to the fat balls and peanut feeders and blocks of fat with insects but aren't going anywhere near the loose seed.  Time will tell if that's because they're not used to being fed or if the mix is not to their taste.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,661

YES, I HAVE FOUND THAT THE TYPE OF BIRDS THAT USE HANGING FEEDERS ARE NOT THE TYPE OF BIRDS THAT LIKE TO EAT WHEAT.

THEY ARE REMARKABLY FUSSY. OUR WILL ONLY EAT FAWN COLOURED FAT PELLETS AND WON'T TOUCH THE PINK ONES. NEXT DOOR IT IS THE OPPOSITE. (WORK THAT ONE OUT).

ARE THE HANGING FEEDERS PLACED NEAR COVER (BIG BUSHES OR OVERHANGING BRANCHES)?  ARE THEY HIGH ENOUGH? MAYBE THEY FEEL TOO EXPOSED TO ATTACK.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,127

Hi Oxana - that mix looks predominantly wheat/barley, so as the others have said, it's not going to be attractive to the birds that mainly use hanging feeders. In my experience, all it does is attract pigeons. 

You might be better using a no mess mix, which will contain a better variety of foods like sunflower hearts, a variety of seeds and nibbed nuts etc, and like the title suggests, there's no husks so there's very little waste. There are often little bits of suet inthem too. I use one I get locally in Asda which is excellent, but most GCs and DIY stores stock similar products. You can add other things to attract specific birds as time goes on. You can get a 'robin mix' quite easily too, which is attractive to lots of bird types. 

It might seem more expensive, but it really isn't because the quality and uptake is better. The little birds like tits and finches will thank you for it  image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,378

That pack looks to be full of wheat or other large cereal that only wood pigeons seem to eat. All of my small birds just chuck it out, it can then attract pigeons and rats. If you want something simple, most of the birds I get will eat sunflower hearts and there is no mess.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.

Snap - ish fidget! image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

The feed in the photo is mostly wheat which will attract pigeons & rats but not the smaller birds. Wheat is included because it's much cheaper than sunflower seed.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 792

I have 4 feeders in my 'courtyard' area of the garden;

- A half-coconut suet-type feeder which the the blue, great and long tailed love.

- A newly installed nyger feeder which has (at last!) brought the gold finches in. 

- A peanut and suet pellet feeder which gets a regular visit from the t!ts as well as the woodpecker and

- A mixed seed feeder. The only birds that ever go near this are sparrows and the robin. Doesn't seem to matter what supplier of 'wild-bird' seed mix I use this is all I get. Sounds similar to Oxana.

That's the problem Dave - 'wild bird' mixes generally contain loads of wheat to fill them up and make them seem good value. They don't contain an awful lot of variety.  Swap to sunflower hearts, a better quality no-mess mix, or even a robin mix and you should see a difference. image

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 792

Yes I guess that could be the issue FG. In saying that I normally add in some mealworms and sunflower hearts to the mix to try and improve the offering but it never seems to make much difference. It is quite amusing to see both the robin and sparrows hurling the offerings to the floor. At least it keeps the pigeons fed and happy!