Forum home Tools and techniques

Concreting round the base of greenhouse?

I have a large aluminium greenhouse on a concrete slab base. It rains a lot here (!) and a lot of wet gets in around the base and the floor is all mossy. In the past I've done lots of caulking with silicone sealant but to no avail. A friend suggested laying a fillet of concrete all around the outside, covering the little flange that juts out from the base at ground level, and sloping it off so that the rain runs away.

Has anyone else done this, and does it work?

Thanks in anticipation image

• I may be wrong but in most of the pictures I have seen a low brick wall around the base of the greenhouse was the usual set up. For our old wooden GH's there were low stone walls and the frame sat on top of these. 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,426

An aluminium greenhouse is likely to move/flex quite a lot due to expansion and contraction.  I wonder how long a concrete fillet would last.  The comment above about low brick walls really applies more to timber greenhouses and possibly high-end aluminium.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,518

I've got a 6x2 aluminium g/house on my patio. The patio slopes, so I levelled the base with stones then put a concrete fillet around it inside and out. That was 2010 (I think) the fillet is still in 1 piece and looks fine, but water does still seep through in places

Last edited: 02 January 2017 14:47:33

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • I have 2 greenhouses finished my 2 nd about 3 months ago i lay mine on patio then ring of brick that greenhouse sits on then a layer of concrete covering bricks and 2 inch up greenhouse base , with silicone on inside of base of greenhouse .

And water still comes in just at the four corners so in spring going to put drain pipes on the gutters as I think this must be the cause to much concentration of water coming ofend of gutters .

Last edited: 02 January 2017 15:51:17

• Thanks for all your advice. The water is definitely seeping in under the metal base and even under the line of slabs the greenhouse is sitting on. It sounds as though the concrete fillet might improve matters, though as it is a 12ft x 8 ft greenhouse I can see the point about thermal expansion & contraction.

It seems whatever you do some wet will get in. Maybe I have to concentrate on keeping it clean and well ventilated.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626

HOW ABOUT DIGGING A TRENCH ON THE INSIDE OF THE STRUCTURE WITH DRAINAGE CHANNELS AT THE CORNERS?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,426
    pansyface says:

HOW ABOUT DIGGING A TRENCH ON THE INSIDE OF THE STRUCTURE WITH DRAINAGE CHANNELS AT THE CORNERS?

See original post

I was thinking something similar although it would be quite an undertaking on a 12' greenhouse.  A channel a couple of inches wide , filled with gravel, would allow condensation to drain away and not affect the concrete floor.