Forum home Problem solving

Red robin won't grow

This plant (a red robin apparently) was planted about a year ago and hasn't grown any bigger in a year. 

Any idea of what the problem may be? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,135

IT HASN'T DIED, SO THAT'S ALWAYS A PLUS.

IT IS PROBABLY JUST HAVING A THINK ABOUT THINGS.

IN THE MEANTIME, i WOULD TAKE OFF THOSE NASTY GREEN PLASTIC TIES. THEY WILL STRANGLE IT IN THE END AND REMOVING THEM WILL ENCOURAGE IT TO FORM STRONG ROOTS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,422

It's probably doing more underground than above, developing a good root system before it can make top growth. 

I agree with Pansy - remove the ties. Then clear the grass from around its base so there's a circle of bare soil with a diameter of at least a couple of feet, so the shrub isnt competing with the grass for moisture and nutrition. in February give it a feed of Fish, Blood & Bone as per the directions on the pack. It's a slow acting organic fertiliser which will provide nutrition for the  coming year. In dry spells give it a bucket full of water twice a week.  It should be fine. image

Last edited: 02 January 2017 08:31:52

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336

Agree, and clearing the grass from around it is important.  Grass is a very competitive plant and uses up lots of nutrients from the soil.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,466

Good advice above. Mine took a long time to get started, some years ago, but now it's big.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • It doesn't look very 'Red' to me. Should have red leaf stalks and dark reddish new stems and buds. Looks not quite right, although it appears healthy enough.

H-C

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,538

I've seen many, but don't own a Red Robin - your plant doesn't look like a Red robin to me. More like a skimmia, but I may well be wrong

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

It looks like Red Robin to me, mine only has green leaves at this time of year. The new growth in Spring will be red.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,538

The leaves look too thick for a Photinia, but I've no idea tbh

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Skimmias are short, round and bushy.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Wow. Thanks guys. I feel better now. I'll take your advice and remove the grass at the base asap.