Wild flowers now

Two flowering plants - photographed yesterday, on the wild side of our driveway.imageimageThe first is red Campion, the second Winter Heliotrope (I think).

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,244

Lovely, GDimage.  I think the top one is pink rather than red campion (silene dioica.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • lilysillylilysilly Posts: 427

Lovely wild flowers GD. I love red campion and we see a lot of it in our Devon verges but never at this time of year. I've not seen winter heliotrope before, how pretty it is. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,156

FANTASTIC.

AND A HOVERFLY TOO.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,449

To differentiate between pink and red campions - the pink has a green calyx whereas the red campion has a red calyx. 

Gorgeous to see the pics. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks, I will take a closer look at the campions in future Dove - I still think these are red, although I must admit they have turned out to look more pink in the photo above.  I normally pull the Heliotrope out, but I am so glad that we left them to flower this time - the leaves are huge - like big saucers.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

Red Campions are very variable in their redness

Pink Campion, Silene x hampeana is a cross between S. dioica and S. latifolia and also variable.

• Another twoimageimage from today's walk in the lanes close by. Naval or penny wart and three angled garlic or Allium Triquetrum

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

Lovely. I must keep an eye on the place where I sowed your Navelwort

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 1,737

Lovely, GD. You are weeks ahead of us but we are enjoying native daffs in great abundance.

• Just to prove to you that Naval wort will grow just about anywhere over here - it is what some would describe as a thug!