Forum home Garden design

Help for busy garden

2»

• I'm sorry, I don't know why the photos are upside down, they're fine on the device! 

• NewbNewb Posts: 211

Yes double circle one looks good image

• NewbNewb Posts: 211

• Thanks again for all your advice. 

I didn't like 2 circles, so my 5 year old helped me make a sort of oval/ellipse this morning, after turning the compost. He works hard for Lego!

Should we take the lawn down to the hard path, or plant that 200x50cm with lavender? Or something else for year round interest? 

• I appreciate 2 thumbs up for double circle, but I don't think it would be defined enough at ground level, especially as I'm likely to have perennials spilling over the border edge for 2-3 seasons of the year. 

Still think I should plant out my pear trees top right of the lawn? The soil is currently shallow. I could move the pots there in spring. Also, the wind comes in from the back gate bottom right, very strong in winter and storms. Maybe leave them in pots so they can be moved to shelter when it's gale force, or would they send roots into the whitish grey subsoil? 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,532

If you put a brick, wood or stone edging the two circles will be well defined.

As with many other aspects of gardening, you're just going to have to try it and see if works.  You can always modify it later on.

Some people like the softening effect of plants drifting over boundaries to break up hard edges.  Others prefer strict formality.  I would suggest your garden should be of the former variety given the children and hens.

Last edited: 01 January 2017 14:13:54

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • OK, Obelixx, I appreciate that. Maybe we'll stick to 2 circles to start.  Actually, plants spilling over could accentuate the double circle.  And yes, not formal please!  Which is why I'm struggling so with the straight lines. Any plant recommendations for where the circles meet and go in?  I love delicate foliage, and green, white, purple and grey are my favorite colors.  Verbena? Shrubs?  

The blue fence came with the garden, and the neighbors own the fences and don't want me painting them (paint leaks thru apparently) so I have to work with them. I can paint the trellises and shed,  but figure the plants should take center stage. Just extra info. 

I've ordered this border edging and some landscape fabric.  http://www.diy.com/departments/universal-gravel-paving-edging-black-l6m-h100mm/1020731_BQ.prd  So in a week, after settlibg with a lawn shape, I can think about getting the path ready for wood chip!  Considering it's free,it would be silly to choose anything else, and the chickens will live kicking it around I bet. And my son will love trucking it around. 

You guys have been a big help with suggestions and advice. This gardening newbie thanks you. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,532

Good.  Concentrate on getting your circles outlined and cut and then edged before you start to think about plants.   You need to live with the new shapes a bit before making other decisions.  The chooks will love chipped bark.  Be prepared for them to toss it about and scatter some on your lawn.

The RHS website has a feature that allows you to look up suitable plants using aspect, sun, shade, exposure, soil type, hardiness and then plant type and colour.  https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-Form  You can also use it to search for info about a named plant to see if it's suitable for you and your garden.

The other way to get good plants is to visit a good garden centre or nursery once a month and buy what is in flower and that you like.  Then you will fill your garden gradually with something of interest at every time of the year.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw