Forum home Plants

January 2017

Morning aym, sadly I still can't do much  after having my op. But if you could see me now you will know that I have lots of plans in my head!!! I am surrounded by all my seed pkts and my sketchbook and I am attempting to plan next years borders????.... this always cheers me up!

Luckily I had washed out and prepared lots of ' milk containers'  so I plan to use the ' winter sowing ' method during Jan and Feb. It should save me alot of faffing around  ( oops sounding like Len from Strictly !????)

Last year, for some reason I can't remember, I use  just the ordinary seed tray method and the difference was quite obvious as the plants were no way as strong and vigorous as the previous years ones. They still looked good I could see the difference!

What are you plans? x

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,402

Winter pruning of fruit trees/bushes and the grapevine and forcing the rhubarb. Also putting in supports for the broad beans which are growing well. Otherwise I keep off the grass as much as possible as it's either frosted or wet and walking on either will do no good. 

My main focus in January is looking at ways to improve the structure in the garden, making plans and enjoying the snowdrops and hellebores and watching out for the green noses of other spring bulbs as they peek through. 

Last edited: 28 December 2016 09:49:42

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,279

Enjoying some tropical sun and flowers, to get me in the mood to start when I come home.

Trying to remind myself not to start seed to early, always leads to problems later.

He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,604

Pretty much the same as Punkdoc. 

Lying on my back soaking up the sun for a month.

Re-charging batteries and getting ready to hit the ground running in the garden upon my return.

Devon.
  • Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

Hi, near Southampton, so right down south!

Have you looked at Winter Sowing....Just have a Google it's very interesting. It can also be an alternative method to use on plants that require stratification. Also for some  plants you don't have to worry about the temps.

Have a read up......I have successfully grown 100s of plants this way without worrying about watering or temperature, and it satisfies the ' need to do a bit of gardening' craving!??????

I have put pics on before, but must admit that I have not posted much this year. I tried to post pics from last summer on your other thread ( 2 days ago), but like many others experienced problems. May try again later.

My eldest has just  come back from Vienna......loved it.

• B3B3 Posts: 21,475

I will hibernate until late February. I would probably do more harm than good tramping  about on the grass etc.

By then the  b!!!!y bluebells will be big enough to pull out  - againimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,604

flowers, pics seem to be sorted out now ( bit of a hiccup over christmas, but it's sorted now )

Give it another bash?

Devon.

Trudie Davidoff is one of the best, Winter Sown. Org. A lot of info is USA related but I have never found it a problem.....Check out your zone number. I have never had damping off or legginess problems from this method, but did earlier this year using trays.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,454

I will only be planting my last 2 bags of tulips. Then looking at catalogues and waiting for the snowdrops. Unless the weather is gorgeous in January it's my time off from the garden month.

Dordogne and Norfolk

Thanks Hosta......will do. Happy holidays to you and hubs x