Onion/allium ID

VishuVishu Posts: 191

A few months ago, i got a packet of 4 'allium' bulbs image

The bulbs were like Onion, 5 -6 cm in diameter and white.

After i planted, this is what it looks like, now

• VishuVishu Posts: 191

This is what has sprouted....... Thin long leaves......

So which plant is this? I am assuming Onion chives or wild Onion. Can this be any variety of ornamental onions?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,872

Hi Vishu - lots of ornamentals have quite fine leaves which come through very early. Sphaerocaephalon has fine leaves, as do some of the other smaller varieties. You'll just have to wait and see what you end up with!

The pic on the packet looks like it chould be Purple Sensation or something similar, and as the bulbs were quite big, it should certainly be a bigger allium when it flowers. Does it have any other info on the packet though? 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl says:

Hi Vishu - lots of ornamentals have quite fine leaves which come through very early. Sphaerocaephalon has fine leaves, as do some of the other smaller varieties. You'll just have to wait and see what you end up with!

The pic on the packet looks like it chould be Purple Sensation or something similar, and as the bulbs were quite big, it should certainly be a bigger allium when it flowers. Does it have any other info on the packet though? 

See original post

Thanks for the reply, fairygirl. image you have given me some hope.

I have learned not to trust the packets. The other packet of daffodil in the pic, turned out to be narcissus minnow so can't trust them.

Does allium purple sensation have foliage like this?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,872

They're helluva big bulbs if it's chives!  5 or 6cm diameter you said - or did you mean mm vishu? image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Amy:  thanks  image am hoping they are drumstick alliums.

Fairygirl: thats the maximum size...... Can be 4 cm too, don't remember precisely. But definitely not mm.image i m hop8ng and praying that they are drumstick alliums

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

What have you planted them in? The stuff in that pot looks very much like sand (from the colour) and it looks very dry too. If they are Drumstick Alliums and the bulbs were as big as you say then the leaves showing are definitely not big enough by a long way.

Berghill: its common garden soil commonly available here( sandy soil) mixed with some part of red clay..... The top most layer dries very quickly (due to hot sun) but the inner layer remains moist for much longer. 

The diameter was around 4-6 cm. the leaves are around a foot tall. 

So are they not drumstick allium?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

Just been out in my garden and our big Alliums are not showing above ground at all yet. They are cold temperature growers (from the Steppes) so I am not sure how they would grow in a warm climate. If they are big Alliums then the leaves should be at least 1cm across and slightly hairy.

Berghill we are currently having temperature range :26℃ to 12 ℃ and January is going to be even more cold. This is my first try with alliums. People here grow daffodils, hyacinths and tulips by refrigerating them for 2 months and paperwhite narcissus naturalize easily.

So what do you think? Will giant alliums be successful? And what about drumstick alliums.

Edible Onions and garlic grow very easily.