Vic's Allotment Adventures

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,509

Got the keys to my first ever allotment last week and I'd like to share some pics and projects with you all if I mayimage

It's approx 8m x 25m, mostly flat and with a sprinkling of rubbish. Very mossy at the north facing end.

Got a shed/shack, full of rubbish and in need of minor repair. Will try and rig up a waterbutt.

This is the heap. The other allotment holders were planning on burning it I believe. Now I've had a closer look I can see there are plastics and tubs of unknown substance within the heap so I'm going to take it apart and dispose of it properly. Might be able to salvage something useful also image

This is the area behind the heap, very mossy, the bank at the back has pushed over a sort of retaining structure. A fellow allotmenteer has informed me there are two rhubarb clumps which is quite exciting. I've marked them with blue pole either side of the berm.

All I've done last weekend is start to gather and dispose of rubbish and have piled some dead stuff together.

Next weekend is more rubbish gathering and I'm going to start clearing an area for my raspberry and blackberry canes. image

• SlumSlum Posts: 174

That's going to keep you busy! Have fun image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 19,606

Oh wow Vic. Thats a project that will be very hard work but rewarding. BTW I love the Director's Chair! image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 11,647

Lot of work there, Vic!  What fun!  Very best of luck with it.....get it cleared, feed it well, stand back, look, look again, think, plan.....feed again, and then start planning the planting! Fantastic space!  ENJOY IT!

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,509

Hee heeimage I'm very excited, my garden (smaller than the allotment) is all done bar tinkering and I needed a new project.

The chair was the first thing I took up - it's required for musingimage

I hope that the flask had gin in it! image

Apparently it had been empty for two years and before that the guy only used one side of it. It's got some mares tail apparently, not had to deal with that before...

Ladybird4 says:

I hope that the flask had gin in it! image

See original post

Just a bit of sherryimage

Just keep digging it out when you see it. It is difficult to eradicate but if you keep on top of it it doesn't become unbearable. I've had it in my garden for 30+ years.

Sherry is ok - it is the Christmas season after all.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 13,167

Musing is essential.    Looks like a good project to get your teeth into.  Good luck.  Hope it all goes well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw