Forum home Fruit & veg

strange vegetables/fruit

Hi,

i'm looking to grow some strange or unusual fruit and veg next year with several community groups, we grew oca (New Zealand Yam), liquorice and lemon eucalyptus this year.

one thing that has been mentioned is growing peanuts. has anyone out there grown peanuts in the UK? we're in the NE of England, but I have access to a polytunnel.

and apart from peanuts, can anyone think of anything I should be able to grow with my community groups?

• I grew Huckleberries one year, easy from seed and seemed to crop well but didn't eat them myself, so can't comment on the taste.

• imageimageTromboncino seeds are the strange veg I have to sow next year treehugger ?..taste like courgette/squash...looking  forward to trying them.?

• You could try Passion fruit in the Polytunnel.........I germinated seeds from supermarket fruits and got a crop off the resultant 18 month old plants  Good fruitimage

• B3B3 Posts: 15,009

Squirrels used to plant peanuts in my London garden and they grew like weeds. They were a bit of a nuisance as we had a postage stamp garden.  I never let one grow to maturity so I don't know if you'd get a crop.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • VishuVishu Posts: 191

How about water chestnuts or taros? Or maybe lotus if you have a pond.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I would say Chilli Willies are certainly unusual, very easy to grow... but perhaps not suitable for community growing ;)

You can also grow purslane......it requires no care at all

• peanuts are a definite, but i'll have a go at taro and passion fruit, I have also thought about growing turmeric roots from the supermarket, and maybe ginger?

i'll try growing anything interesting to be honest!

• thanks another one to try

If you are interested in unusual herbs and spices, then try holy basil, coriander and curry leaf plant.

Another option is fenugreek leaves. Fresh leaves can be cooked as leafy vegetables(my favourite is fenugreek leaves with potatoes), can be dried and used as a herb( after it dries, it acquires a very pleasant aroma which is not in fresh green leaves) and the seeds can also be harvested and used as spice or in traditional medicine

Last edited: 21 December 2016 09:54:25