Forum home Fruit & veg

Avocado Tree

Hi,

I started growing an avocado from pit/seed around 2 months ago. It is being grown hydroponically over water just like most online sites tell you to do. The avocado is doing really well and has grown to around 8-10inches (after topping it a few weeks ago).

How long should I keep it growing in the water/vase. The tap root is starting to coil around the bottle of the vase. Will it be happy enough in water still or should I start to think about potting it in soil?

Thanks

Chris

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

I WOULD PUT IT INTO SOME MULTI PURPOSE COMPOST.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • make sure you put it in a decent sized pot because as soon as it gets its roots into proper soil it'll take off like a rocket!

• Also make sure that as you have reared it in water, when you pot on, you keep the root sufficiently damp to let it acclimatise to soil as opposed to water.

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 299

That's very useful information, thank you!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,667

The way I do it is to add compost to the container full of water that the roots are in, a bit at a time, to gradually change the proportion of water/soil/oxygen. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 299

That's a good idea, sounds like it could get messy though :)

Do you keep the pit exposed half way above the soil of shall I submerge it completely?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,667

I used to leave the top third peeping up through the top of the compost, but recently I've had avocados growing in our compost heap and in flower beds here in Norfolk, from spreading the compost as mulch, and they seem quite happy to be buried so I don't think they're too fussy about that.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh