Forum home The potting shed

Absolutely nothing to do with gardening too too

B3B3 Posts: 15,070

My whole chicken has a use by date of 18/12 ( yesterday)

It's free range from Sainsburys 5minutes away and was put straight in fridge  if that makes any difference. The main thing  is, it cost me over a tennerimage

I'm thinking - can a dead chicken tell it's midnight?

Would you chuck it or cook it?

For obvious reasons an early reply would be appreciatedimage

In London. Keen but lazy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,666

Cook it today and it'll be fine. Enjoy :-)

Last edited: 19 December 2016 06:48:15

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 15,070

I think I'll do it straight away and cut it up for spares. I don't fancy roast chicken for breakfast.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

B3, The human race survived millennia before sell by / use by dates were introduced. Look at it, sniff it, taste it. You'll be fine. 

My personal record is a yogurt 64 days, yes sixty four days after the date.

But if we don't hear from you again.................................................image

Devon.

Hosta. I can't  even stand fresh yoghurt. Perhaps maturity would improve the taste.image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

it certainly didn't detract from it. 

We had a Colman's peppercorn sauce a couple of months back which was 5 years beyond it's best before date. Perhaps had lost a bit of flavour, but  it was fine.

Devon.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I always prefer to sniff test things rather than rely on a date.

Food I mean, not sexual partners. They don't even get the opportunity for a date if they fail the sniffles test.

I can remember the days before use by and best before dates.I wonder if best before dates are because of different preservatives, central heating, no larders or an insidious plot to make us buy more food.

Use by dates are necessary for certain foods but instead of best before, perhaps there should just be a manufactured or packaged date and then we can make up our own minds.

If you even feel the need to sniff a date- delete and rewind. However if you feel the urge to sniff, that might be a different matter.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156

It'll be fine. Usual rules apply about it being cooked through. I've regularly eaten chickens and all sorts of things well beyond the 'use by' date. There's a certain level of 'comfort zone'built into these dates so that we don't become like America and start suing every supermarket for the slightest thing.

Clari - I know what you mean. Is is so hard for people just to be clean nowadays!   image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

We have a nearly 1 yr pot of yoghurt in the fridge, I personally don't like natural yoghurt but hubs and our' kids' like fermented yoghurt and a dash of salt mixed with ice cold water as a refreshing drink with certain meals. It's drunk a lot out in the middle east, helps to hydrate you in hot spells too!

As hubs went out last week to his works xmas do, and as yet I can't stand long enough to cook a meal, I decided it was the perfect time to dig out the 2012 pkt ot sweet and sour chicken and rice from our freezer............. didn't enjoy it much ( don't know why it was bought in the first place!!), but I suffered no repercussions? 

Yes B3 I would think you will be fine, as always with chicken make sure it's cooked  well and either eat, re- fridge or freezer as soon as possible. Enjoy x