How to cut small lawn ? - no mower

Hi Gardeners

I have a small town lawn that is 3.5mx3.5m. I have been cutting it on hands and knees with Wilkinson shears when grass gets long and unsightly. (I don't have space for a  mower with handle)

Wondered whether there was a better/easier way to regularly keep on top of lawn ... (would love a dinky robot mower but can't afford)

What do other people do?

Thanks for your tips

Betty

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

a strimmer?

though I's abandon the lawn and get  a few paving slabs if I wanted somewhere to sit

• Hi Nutcutlet

I used a strimmer before and I found it cut lawn badly and so I stopped using it

Betty

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

strimmers don't make the neatest job do they Betty. Though when OH uses one it's neater than when i do.

Can you get shears with long handles so you can use them standing up?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

Do you have friendly neighbours with a mower?  Could you combine resources and volunteer to mow their lawn when they're away and contribute towards repairs and servicing?

Otherwise I think I'd rethink the garden - nice flagstones with creeping thymes in the cracks maybe?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,394

Other than shears, if you really want to keep such a small lawn, I think the only things is a manual mower.  They don't take up much space and can be stored hanging up by the handle.   Try looking for one on freecycle or sites such as Amazon and Gumtree where you can get a new one for about £50.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw