Forum home Fruit & veg

Polycarbonate GH

I am a pensioner ,not too steady on my feet and I had a fall in my GH  I broke the glass but fortunately I escaped unhurt I have sold that GH and would now like to buy a polycarbonate one but there seems to be conflicting views 

I live I on  thE  west coast in. quite a windy area any advise ? do I buy a more substantial one  ie not a cheap jobI would appreciate  advise from someone who has had experience with polyycarbonate GH

A glass GH is not an option as I am terrified of another accident.  And I will miss the many  happy hours I  spend in it

• I suspect you would do better to get a small greenhouse with toughened glass. Polycarbonate is flexible, so more likely to be affected by high winds, and the greenhouses themselves are likely to be of cheaper construction.

If you have staging along the sides it will give you something to hold on to and protect you from falling against the glass and you could perhaps add something like a wire mesh panel to the door, or a sheet of clear laminate for a little bit  more safety there.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,111

I agree that toughened glass is the way to go.
    It's like a car windscreen glass, so if it breaks, it crazes and breaks into tiny bits that aren't generally sharp.
    Toughened glass these days is also very tough, so quite difficult to smash in the first place.

I have a Rhino g/house which comes with toughened glass as standard

Last edited: 18 December 2016 09:04:08

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.