Field Mice

I have a colony of field mice in my compost bin. Should I be encouraging them to leave or stay. Are they likely to damage nearby parsnips which are still in the ground?

• Probably not as they're primarily seed, fruits and green vegetable matter eaters. However, should weather conditions become severe they may try a nibble. Not a high risk. 

H-C

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,205

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I CAN FORGIVE THEM JUST ABOUT ANYTHING.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thank you. They'll have to move when I want to empty the bin (mainly grass cuttings and horse manure)next autumn. It's interesting that they haven't moved into the two adjacent bins (one all horse manure and the other this years fallen leaves). They only turned up about four weeks ago and have made a nest at the top of the bin and several bolt holes where they can get further down if necessary.

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    We get them coming into our garage in winter off the field. The occasional one gets into the house every now and then but I ain't got a clue how because it's a relatively new build and I can't see any gaps or small holes. We don't mind them in the garage really as it's only used as a glorified shed we just leave them alone 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 837
    edited October 2019
    pansyface said:

Me too. I've got some under our summerhouse. I just think they're lovely and they don't come into the house. I even give them a few sunflower seeds. My husband thinks I'm mad. Plus they eat snails. Always snail shells around their home. 
    We don't see them much in the day only at night if the outside light comes on then you find them in the bird feeders
  • Bijdezee said:
    pansyface said:

Me too. I've got some under our summerhouse. I just think they're lovely and they don't come into the house. I even give them a few sunflower seeds. My husband thinks I'm mad. Plus they eat snails. Always snail shells around their home. 
    Yep we are the same look at there faces! We have a family living in our garage I keep seeing them on our wildlife camera pinching the dry hedgehog food, and pulling the the flower heads off the marigolds.🤣
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,339
    I love having them around although I did have to forgive these 2 for destroying the inside of this bird box and giving me fleas when I tried to clean it. :#

I love having them around although I did have to forgive these 2 for destroying the inside of this bird box and giving me fleas when I tried to clean it. :#

😢😢 didn't you leave them alone 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,257
    Very sweet @wild edges. You do need to keep the bird boxes clean though, they’ll soon find another home. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.