Forum home Fruit & veg

potatoes for dec 17

hello. ive grown potatoes last spring and will be growing next spring. but i want to try and grow lates poss for christmas. has anyone got a good variety they want to share . plus which month to plant them. regards peter.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

I tried growing spuds for xmas a few times, decided it wasn't worth the effort. 

Plant in August, in grow bags, so they can be moved into GH as the days shorten and temps start to drop at night. I found the foliage died towards the end of October, the spuds don't get any bigger but keep in the compost until ready to lift. 1st earliest mature quicker. 

My best effort froze in the bag so couldn't harvest in December and threw in the towel, only to find in March when I came to empty the bag there was a respectable harvest of spuds undamaged by the frost, more by accident than design...good luck and happy growing...

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

You've missed the boat for this year.

• I grew then one year, planted (in bags) in August (using "specially prepared seed potatoes"). Harvested lovely New potatoes for Xmas ... but ... I and all the family decided we preferred traditional roast potatoes at Xmas, rather than New Potatoes, so haven't done it since.