Forum home Fruit & veg

Grow Your Own Mushroom Advent Calendar

http://image1.gardenersworld.com/img.jpg?tag=d89aa117-06d2-4a97-af99-14da30dd8920

'

I've grown button mushrooms before, but never tried oyster mushrooms, so this December I'm starting new advent tradition growing mushrooms through December to see what kind of a crop I get. And these mushrooms have eco-credentials as they're grown on upcycled coffee grounds.  I'll be following the progress of the crop day by day on my blog and Facebook. Hopefully I'll get a good harvest and will be able to experiment with some new recipes. 

If you've grown mushrooms inside before, I'd be interested to know how successful it was. Are there particular varieties which have been most successful? 

Thanks image

• Anne17Anne17 Posts: 94

I did grow them, from a kit, using old coffee grounds. However when I ate them, I became very ill indeed. I've eaten Oyster mushrooms before, theyre often in Chinese food, so can only assume these were either contaminated in some way or contained some other spores ? Won't try that again !

• Oh dear - not a good experience!! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,667

Back in the 1950s when it was very much a new thing in the UK Ma grew mushrooms in a small shed on the farm as a commercial venture -  the experiment didn't last for long.  I think back then there just wasn't the demand - mushrooms were regarded with some suspicion back then and farmed mushrooms even more so - it wasn't until a few years later that the industry 'took off' (see what I did there image) utilising the huge hangars vacated by the RAF on East Anglian wartime aerodromes.

However growing them just for us something I've often been tempted to do and I know OH is interested ... we'll watch this thread image

Last edited: 02 December 2016 09:54:11

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

NO, I HAVE NEVER TRIED TO GROW THEM.

BUT JUST WALKING HOME TODAY I NOTICED THESE GROWING IN A LOCAL CAR PARK.

THEY LOOK LIKE THE REAL DEAL. VERY BIG THOUGH.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Interesting. I've always avoided courses on mushroom ID as I'd be afraid of the consequences of getting it wrong!!!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

I THINK THEY ARE SOME KIND OF PLEUROTUS BUT, EVEN IF THEY TURNED OUT TO BE CHAMPION SPECIMENS , I THINK THE AMOUNT OF CAR EXHAUST POLLUTION SITTING ON THEM WOULD RENDER THEM FAIRLY TOXIC.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.