Forum home Fruit & veg

mould on my grapevines

Hi, I have two magnificent grape vines approx 10 years old.  Prolific fruiters, Last year the larger Merlot developed grey mould on the leaves which spread to the fruit, destroying all grapes.  This year it had spread to the second vine 10ft away and both vines were diseased badly.  Searching for a solution has been frustrating.  Any pestiside that would help is not available to amateur gardeners.  Please can someone help me to save these two lovely vines?

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,444

Sounds like botrytis (grey mould). Bordeaux mixture is only really of any use as a preventative for this and doesn't treat infected plants so might not be much use. One fungicide which I think are still available include systhane but that may depend on where you live, it isn't easy to get Merlot to fruit well in the UK so I'm guessing elsewhere? I would clean up the vines as much as possible over the winter to remove any source of spores as a first step.

• Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.  I am going to try to find steephill as suggested.